DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for subs that can handle 1850 wat rms I'm running two planet audio trouqe 5000 watt amps with two batteries was running 2200 wat planet audio subs but blew them bought 3600 watt power acustic subs and blew them. Looking for something that can handle the power under 500$ a speaker

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd try out this monster, has solid reviews and parts express has it on sale for $400 right now.

Peerless STW-350F188PR01-04

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
I'd try out this monster, has solid reviews and parts express has it on sale for $400 right now.

Peerless STW-350F188PR01-04
Oh man, that thing looks like a monster!!! But I don't think he has close to enough power with the planet audio amp to make it work however. Its a D8 sub so at 4 ohms i bet his amp barely makes 500watts.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Question is, why are you blowing subs? It’s not because your over powering the subs. Those amps don’t put out a ton of power. I know they are 5k but I highly doubt they put out more than 1200ish at 1ohm. Sounds like clipping or distortion is killing subs. Point is, if your blowing subs like that you going to probably destroy some more expensive subs.
I have never blown a speaker before and I have had some systems with a ton of power. I guess I’m curious as to the real problem.
maybe it’s your volume knob that is the issue. Lol.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Question is, why are you blowing subs? It’s not because your over powering the subs. Those amps don’t put out a ton of power. I know they are 5k but I highly doubt they put out more than 1200ish at 1ohm. Sounds like clipping or distortion is killing subs. Point is, if your blowing subs like that you going to probably destroy some more expensive subs.
I have never blown a speaker before and I have had some systems with a ton of power. I guess I’m curious as to the real problem.
maybe it’s your volume knob that is the issue. Lol.
They are rated at 3,750 watts at 1ohm RMS, I can't image their claims being off by 2,500 watts.

Still, your question about why OP is blowing subs is perfectly valid, and something that will need to be considered before ruining even more speakers.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I saw a dyno video and they were at 1300 at 1 ohm. I have a hard time believing any amp that costs about 150.00 is putting out a clean 3500 watts. But I have been wrong before. And planet audio is not known for their ultra reliable power specs. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I saw a dyno video and they were at 1300 at 1 ohm. I have a hard time believing any amp that costs about 150.00 is putting out a clean 3500 watts. But I have been wrong before. And planet audio is not known for their ultra reliable power specs. But I could be wrong.
I didn't check the price, but holy crap, that would only be 1/3 of their claimed RMS power.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Unfortunately that is usually the case with cheap amps because it makes unsuspecting And under informed customers think they are getting a huge deal. I know power is cheap these days but if this was true it would be in spl competitions everywhere but you never hear spl competitors using planet audio amplifiers. Lol.
i would buy one if it was truly that powerful.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I didn’t recommend my usual subs as I was concerned with all of the subs he’s already blown. Doesn’t seem right to blow that many subs, especially with an amp that may not be putting out rated power. My guess is that there’s a lot of clipping go on and maybe gains that aren’t set correctly.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I also agree, there is a reason subs are blowing. I would trace that down first before throwing another sub into the mix. I would put money on a clipped signal/distortion. Sometimes a run down of the all the other equipment the OP is using can shed some light. What type of head unit, other amps, wire etc. I like to know things like is the OP running 2200 watts to keep up with 14 PA speakers. Usually blown speakers indicates something off in the chain. Also, did the OP install or have someone or a shop do it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts