DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They can either be retail or diy. The easier the better but sq that gets real loud is most important. Not sure of exact size needed b/c I'm not sure what size the speaker locations of an 06 bmw are.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Not sure with an '06 either, but the last generation was a pain in the ass :)

Best is really hard to say. Alot of personal taste here, as well as application. Are you going to have an expert tune and build your system, or is this just going to be used "out of the box".

I've heard some pretty aweful sounding setups that supposedly used the "best" sounding gear, without regard to tuning or application.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Image Dynamics horns combined with Illusion Audio 8" midbasses

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We live in a small city of about 100,000 people. There are a few car audio shops(excluding best buy & circuit city). I don't think that any of the salesmen or installers around here would know much if anything about going active. I know the doors need to be completely deadened for the best sound but other than that I don't know how to properly tune and eq everything or if the people at these shops would either. I myself am interested in the diyma components being developed but my cousin has more money at his disposal and I would like him to get some nice equipment that he will enjoy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
JoshTX84 said:
I myself am interested in the diyma components being developed but my cousin has more money at his disposal and I would like him to get some nice equipment that he will enjoy.

not for nothing but I'd rather have a guy like the DIYMA guy make me a component set rather than have to deal with a huge company, something goes wrong you have a direct contact and a definitive repair time..............
and from what I've seen the quality of those DIYMA speakers seems to be top notch, your cousin might end up thanking you years later

·
Registered
107 Posts
JoshTX84 said:
sq that gets real loud is most important.
This is probably the best argument for HLCD's (horns). From what I've read, the Image Dynamics separates seem to work really well with a simple install and minimal tuning required after the fact. Don't they retail for ~$650 including the passive X-O? If you're feeling frisky, you could just get the ID horns and pair them with the midbass of your choosing and go active. Either way, SPL should not be a problem.

·
Registered
130 Posts
the lowest I've seen the minihorns is $219/pr. and thats not bad

·
Registered
415 Posts
npdang said:
I've heard some pretty aweful sounding setups that supposedly used the "best" sounding gear, without regard to tuning or application.
NPD, you talkin about my car again.. :confused: :(

:p

eficalibrator said:
This is probably the best argument for HLCD's (horns). From what I've read, the Image Dynamics separates seem to work really well with a simple install and minimal tuning required after the fact. Don't they retail for ~$650 including the passive X-O? If you're feeling frisky, you could just get the ID horns and pair them with the midbass of your choosing and go active. Either way, SPL should not be a problem.
if hes not confident in tuning a basic woofer/tweeter setup what makes you think he can even touch a horn/woofer setup??? you swear those guys competing say the sound best right out of the box...

·
Registered
107 Posts
10K2HVN said:
if hes not confident in tuning a basic woofer/tweeter setup what makes you think he can even touch a horn/woofer setup???
I guess I'm missing something. How is the tuning process itself different for horns than it is for ribbons, domes, or anything else?

I believe the component set from ID already has some equalization (zobels?) built into their passive x-o's. This would eliminate much of the question in the first place for those looking to "plug and play".

·
Registered
130 Posts
eficalibrator said:
I believe the component set from ID already has some equalization (zobels?) built into their passive x-o's. This would eliminate much of the question in the first place for those looking to "plug and play".
true but at far as midbass goes an Illusion sounds better (really an 8", lol)
this is just IMO

·
Registered
681 Posts
eficalibrator said:
I guess I'm missing something. How is the tuning process itself different for horns than it is for ribbons, domes, or anything else?

Horns are supposed to be very difficult to tune .. and passives don't do what you describe b/c they're a 'best guess' solution .. not customized to vehicle. That's part of the reason why an active setup should sound better than a passive one.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have some input to your question. People have suggested great drivers but I do not have personal experience with many of them.

Few things you need to think about IMO. Do you listen to the radio, satellite, or CDs. For me, I listen to only CDs except Howard Stern and a Boston station occasionally. Stock HU always gets better reception IMO so stick with that if you love the radio.

Second, if you are going to start big and expensive listen to one person that you have trust in a go with what they say. If you take bits and pieces from everyone you could get scrambled and confused. Trust me! : )

I like npdang and what he says. After he reviewed his new driver and gave a sincere review of it compared to the W18NX I was sold on its performance and his honesty as a true "speaker man" and hobbyist. I trust him and I would trust his drivers. You could wait for those to go on sale and get great drivers for a "Superfantastic" price and run active with a 4-channel amp and some good processing. Or try the Seas L18 or go big with the W18NX. I have experience with the L18 and I think it is capable of being a great midrange. I use it as midbass duty only though but occasionally shut off my mid and use it to play up to 2.5kHz.

For tweeters, look no further than npdang once again. Or check out the 27TBFC\G or 27TDFC from Seas. Many people have used them in their cars and can tell you what they think.

Sorry for the long post and another opinion which I know makes things much more difficult. Unless you plan on paying someone to install all of this for you plan on taking more than one try at this. It took me a couple of sets of speakers, swapping of HUs, some swapping of electronics and amplifiers but now I could not be happier.

If you have some time hold out for the Hiquphon OW4 : Þ I can not wait!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
OgreDave said:
Horns are supposed to be very difficult to tune .. and passives don't do what you describe b/c they're a 'best guess' solution .. not customized to vehicle. That's part of the reason why an active setup should sound better than a passive one.
yep..yep...

..conventional and ribbon tweets sound better 'out of the box' (most of the time).

·
Registered
524 Posts
tf1216 said:
If you have some time hold out for the Hiquphon OW4 : Þ I can not wait!!
I am assuming that they will NOT be a small format tweet... :(

·
Registered
434 Posts
tf1216 said:
...I like npdang and what he says. After he reviewed his new driver and gave a sincere review of it compared to the W18NX I was sold on its performance and his honesty as a true "speaker man" and hobbyist. I trust him and I would trust his drivers....
damn, thats a very well said compliment. funny thing, i couldnt agree more with it...a lot of other people on other boards love to talk all big(yap yap yap and love to e-fight)..but they dont have the sincere attitude nor the patience to explain(educate) other hobbyists..another person comes to mind who also rocks the car audio scene...they call him (W) dub-ya for short;)

edit: sorry to hijack the thread:D

·
Registered
434 Posts
npdang said:
Not sure with an '06 either, but the last generation was a pain in the ass :)
eh, wasnt THAT bad :p

·
Registered
401 Posts
For a good "right out of the box" solution you might check out the new Zapco Competition components. I spent some quality time with them today and they really are good. They are the best sounding 2 way set I have heard to date.

You have not mentioned what type of music these will be playing. I feel this is an important part of any suggestions we might make. Also, if you are going to have a local shop do the install you should find out what high end lines they carry. Local warranty and after-sale install support is something to consider.

TomT

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
wow thats interesting

I thought you were headed for the diamond d9 7" set

I too am looking for a pair to put in wifeys car---wish I could test the D9, Zapco, Dls Nobellium and or that new polk set. ive got to go componet set in her car as the mounting depth is a serious issue, and I can only run one amp so I need the passives

and hey Tom, I gues your Dodge was the better buy LOL as my Nissan sucks donkey ba##s

1 - 20 of 20 Posts