DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
^^

I will be using a Diamond 5300.2 (75 x 2 @ 4 ohm) for the midbasses and an Esoteric E7054 (50 x 4 @ 4 ohm) for the midranges & tweeters.

I will be using a Memphis CX35a as my active crossover... Looking to stretch my $200 as far as possible. I've read all the reviews in the "Reviews" section and I found them to be quite informative, but unfortunately, I don't have the sort of money for most of that stuff...

Hopefully the audiophiles on this forum can recommend me some quality stuff. If it's worth noting, I will run a Soundstream EXACT 10" (pre-2003 model) in a sealed box too.

Plan on fabricating custom kickpanels and mounting depth in doors are unknown, but assume it will not matter...

Thanks in advance!

-Ray (first post)

... I'm a lurker on just about every car audio forum 8)

·
Registered
415 Posts
you can barely buy a good 2-way setup for $200....

heres my shot at it..although its a little over $200..

LPG 26NA 1" aluminum tweeters ~ $60 pair

LPG 51AT 2" aluminum domed mid ~ $120 pair

Dayton Reference RS180 ~ $80 pair

probably would be a extremely awesome sounding setup with the right tuning for only $260 worth of speakers...

·
Registered
578 Posts
10K2HVN said:
you can barely buy a good 2-way setup for $200....

heres my shot at it..although its a little over $200..

LPG 26NA 1" aluminum tweeters ~ $60 pair

LPG 51AT 2" aluminum domed mid ~ $120 pair

Dayton Reference RS180 ~ $80 pair

probably would be a extremely awesome sounding setup with the right tuning for only $260 worth of speakers...
That sounds like a nice setup... I actually considered the soft dome version at one time
LPG 25nfa tweets
LPG 50FA Mids
Dayton RS180

This set up should put you under $200, & the speakers are very good.
Dayton DC28F tweets
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=275-070&DID=7

Dayton DC50F mids
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=285-010&DID=7

Dayton RS180 MBs
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-364

·
Registered
578 Posts
mojako said:
How does the Dayton DC28F compare to the LPG soft dome?
Have you heard the LPG 25nfa? It is one of my favorites, I currently use them, although I will be changing to the Dayton RS28 soon.

The LPG is tough to beat in it's price range & it is easier to install in the car. There aren't many tweeters I would recommend over it, with the exception of the Dayton RS28.

The Dayton DC28 sounds similar to the LPG 25nfa. It can play a bit lower than the LPG if needed. And at half the cost, it may be worth the xtra effort to install.

To me the xtra $$$ for the LPG is worth it since it is easier to install & most like to run mids well into 4k. But if you are chasing pennies & are a crafty DIY, the Dayton DC28 is a very nice tweeter.

Leo helped install the DC28 I heard in a friend's Corrado... hopefully he will chime in on the tuning details.

·
Registered
397 Posts
nice! thanks for the info racerraul!

in connection with my questions, i have another one.. hehhhe

i currently auditioned my friends Focal K2P setup.. and my, his tweeters sounded very lifelike when i came reproducing cymbals, hi hats and the like.. can the lpg aluminum tweeter compare to that of the focals tweeter? i think the k2p uses the TN52 tweeter.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have not heard TN52's...

But I have heard 26na's & they are very detailed with reproducing the instruments you described.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
racerraul said:
mojako said:
How does the Dayton DC28F compare to the LPG soft dome?
Leo helped install the DC28 I heard in a friend's Corrado... hopefully he will chime in on the tuning details.
I also like the Dayton DC28F a lot, it's a great tweeter for the price, on a budget oriented system they should fit very nicely... and they can play low without any problems... we have them crossed at 2khz 24db/oct with no problems... EQ set flat... nice easy listening tweeter...

Leo

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bump...anybody else with input??

·
Registered
556 Posts
ive ran my focal tn 52,s with good results, larger mag etc than the tn 47 ,for a supposed tit tweeter it sounds pretty smooth to me ,mounted high in the pillar detail and stage heith is excellent, keep th xover 18-24 under 4k,it blends much better than i expected with the focal 6w2 low in my doors,you can purchase them at zalytron for 140.00 a pair

1 - 10 of 10 Posts