DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my Concept 2 channel A/B (130x2) and my MRP 650 by using front two channels for my components, and the rear one bridged for my sub.

Used is ok, but budget is between 200-250$, unless it is an amazing deal all in for $300 (I am in Canada).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've had good luck with the Pioneer GM-D9500F. Dead silent, does a little more then rated power. And can be had quite cheap online.

Edit: PAS mag done a review a while back, I think the reviewer complained about lack of "space" or ambiance or something. It's a 200 dollar amp, not much to really complain about...

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
PRECISION POWER P900.4 PPI 4-Channel Amp 900W Phantom Class D Amplifier
Item condition: New
Price: US $229.99
Shipping: FREE shipping

P900.4
PHANTOM CLASS D AMPLIFIER

Is bigger always better? No! For many years, if you wanted a big system, you needed big products. Not anymore. Introducing Phantom amplifiers for 2011. Using state of the art SMT and Class D technologies, you can now have a system as big as you want, and still not sacrifice all your storage area. These new big amps in a tiny chassis are available in 1, 2, 4 and 5 channel models to fit every application...

Class D Full Range SMT Circuitry
Double Sided Composite Epoxy PCB
2-Ohm Stereo, 4-Ohm Bridged Multi-Channel
1-Ohm Stable Class D Monoblock
I like the 2 ohm stereo and 1 ohm stable ratings !

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure I will, no problem.

Previous setup was hd942u with amp listed in OP, Energy midrange woofers with Vifa tweets.

I didn't know it was 1 ohm stable however? I believe it is only on the 1000d.

EDIT: Will I blow up the amp running only 3 channels instead of 4 temporarily? I.E front 2 channels for the front stage, and one of the two rears @ 2 ohms for the sub? My sub is a Dual 4 setup :-S

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clarion XH5410 (installed 2 of these recently)
Clarion XH5410 640W Max, XH Series 4-Channel Amplifier

MB Quart Q4.150
MB Quart Q4.150 (Q4150) Q-Series 4-Channel Car Amplifier

Both are great in that price range. I've always been partial to MB Quart Q series, and despite all the ichor against Maxxsonix I have never had a problem with any of their Q series amps. Ever.
The MB Quartz isn't Class D unfortunately.

The Clarion is decent, however the PPI has been tested to put out rated power (PASMAG), and for the same price you get Active Bandpass crossovers, and 145w/channel instead of 90 with the Clarion.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Both are great in that price range. I've always been partial to MB Quart Q series, and despite all the ichor against Maxxsonix I have never had a problem with any of their Q series amps. Ever.
Seeing that you are from Arizona, do they have problems with heat over there when driving subwoofers?

·
Registered
260 Posts
The MB Quartz isn't Class D unfortunately.

The Clarion is decent, however the PPI has been tested to put out rated power (PASMAG), and for the same price you get Active Bandpass crossovers, and 145w/channel instead of 90 with the Clarion.
Clarion.
Review - Over 100w / channel. Clarion XH5410 4-Channel Amp Review - Amplifier Reviews - Car Audio and Electronics. I'm leery of any kind of bandpass crossover with dials (they WILL move over time) but hey if its your thing, why not? I'm an Audiocontrol purist on active crossovers and you can get a 24xs for $50 if you look around. I also go with Clarion because I live close to a licensed Clarion repair station and they have a pretty much no questions asked policy on warranty work with Clarion. PPI I cannot say, although thats not to say they dont. YMMV.

MB Quart
If you only want bass, then "ra-ra go class D". I understand the small footprint is cool, but if you're only using a single amp anyway, I think the class A/B MB Quart is not too big. 150x2 + 440wx1 all at 4 ohms is a great amp for $200. Plus, living in Canada, you'll have yourself a nice little space heater in your vehicle? :)

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
No. Never had an issue, although I always install in a pretty well open space. Were there complaints about the Q series out there overheating? It has a massive heatsink on it...
Large class A/B amplifiers going into protect mode on an unusually hot day when playing the right track is not completely unheard of.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Clarion.
Review - Over 100w / channel. Clarion XH5410 4-Channel Amp Review - Amplifier Reviews - Car Audio and Electronics. I'm leery of any kind of bandpass crossover with dials (they WILL move over time) but hey if its your thing, why not? I'm an Audiocontrol purist on active crossovers and you can get a 24xs for $50 if you look around. I also go with Clarion because I live close to a licensed Clarion repair station and they have a pretty much no questions asked policy on warranty work with Clarion. PPI I cannot say, although thats not to say they dont. YMMV.

MB Quart
If you only want bass, then "ra-ra go class D". I understand the small footprint is cool, but if you're only using a single amp anyway, I think the class A/B MB Quart is not too big. 150x2 + 440wx1 all at 4 ohms is a great amp for $200. Plus, living in Canada, you'll have yourself a nice little space heater in your vehicle? :)
I am not against A/B, I just do not like the efficiency of them. It is up for debate if Class D fidelity is lower, which I believe is more than likely not the case since frequency response seems very flat. Also alot of people don't seem to hear a difference and they are far more experienced than me. In saying that, I don't believe that Class D is a "bass only" amp.

At the end of the day, I listen to my music often louder than I should (as I said my front stage is 120-130w now) at almost full volume for extended periods. At nights, it is like I own strobes, the lights are blinking so badly.

I also don't even plan on using the crossovers since my comp's are passive, however at the end of the day it is an "extra" feature.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to reiterate - am I ok running a single channel on the last set on the amp? So it is unbalanced? Or is that bad.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts