DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back in the day I used to own SoundStream Reference amps which were incredible. Unfortunately, when I went off to college I sold all my gear and here I am six years later wanting to get back into the car-fi world. That said, I need to know what the best 4ch amp I can get for around/under $230 (or two 2ch amps for the same price). Sound quality is of the utmost importance (I won't be using any of the extra internal features like crossovers etc). So far the only amps I looked at were the Autotek XS900.4, and the XS400.2, are they any good? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
989 Posts
http://www.elitecaraudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=120082&pagenumber=1

Monitor 1 4 ch 4 x 70 wrms, straight power, no crossovers, just gain 140 bucks.

You can also find the 2 channel 2 x 70 wrms for about 55 shipped, I remember seeing one on ECA, and 2 on ebay.

Made by Arpa(Zapco Buildhouse)

There's also PG Tantrums on eBay 2 x 65 wrms for 80 plus shipping, but they have advanced crossovers.

You can look for PPI A440.2 on ebay, those are definitely nice.

·
Registered
575 Posts
i second the older monitor 1 amps,the build q is good,very inexpensive and sounded better than i thought they would, no crossovers though

·
Registered
575 Posts
like arc said the old xtants are great and reliable if working properly,i purchased the 4 channel version monitor 1 i think it was a mk 4.70 -4 by 70 per ch and simply drove my peerless mids and old pair of focal tweeters stereo,it sounded great to me, soundstage was a bit wider than my prev , old rockford 200 dsm or old soundstream 604 ,i was impressed at the time,it was about 4 or more years ago since then i cant count the amps ive been through,part of the fun i guess!! :rolleyes: its a nice simple good sounding amp for the price,how good can an amp sound? all percieved by the user-power output might be more of a concern considering your drivers

·
Registered
96 Posts
cam2Xrunner said:
I think you're gonna want a Bit ;) more power than 70 watts @ 4 ohms driving some peerless XLS8's. When I say bit, I mean alot. lol
How much more? It seems that if driving only midbass and tweeters 70x4 would be more than enough (providing the amp put out 70 rms watts of clean power)?

·
Registered
524 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.