DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Which would you choose for my application?

• JL

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • DD

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • DLS

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Kicker

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • DD

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Tang Band

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • Other - please say which

Votes: 24 30.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my case it's for two .3cubic foot sealed poly filled enclosures in a 4-way system with a woofer, the subs will coupled in parallel and driven by the JL HD900 500w rms subwoofer output.
Here's how it would look like with a DD, and yeah, no space for anything but 6.5" woofers anywhere. Trunk has a solid metal plate in the way too.

Some contenders (right now I'm leaning towards the CDT M6+)

JL AUDIO 6W3V3-4 $100

DLS Reference RW6 $190

Tang Band W6-1139SI $130

DD sw6.5 (hard to find, but might be the hardest hitting option?) x$

Kicker CVT65 $60 (my current woofers)

Forgot this one:

CDT M6+ $150 (12mm xmax, perfect for sealed enclosures, a winner?)

And this one

Rainbow Vanadium $329

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've tried the TB's in the doors...didn't have much luck as they never sounded that great and one fell apart. I had an a/d/s PS5 on each...90w. That's my experience with them and there's no way in hell I'd pay $130 each.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Expecting a beating......Critical Mass. Bring the thunder, fellow members!!! I got mine cheap!!! They are great!!!! *ducking* *bobbing* *weaving*

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shit, the CTD M6+ is on sale at $159 incl shipping for a pair from woofersdirect. I have to try em out

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Focal 13 WS 5"
Dynaudio 7"

Was suggested. Almost tempted to ditch all my speakers for the Dynaudio 340, but worried that bass response will be weaker than with e.g. CDTs. What do you reckon?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Thats a cool little enclosure. What car is it? No way you could shoehorn an 8" in that same enclosure with an adapter ring? I think those Alpine Type R 8" subs run in 0.3ft3.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats a cool little enclosure. What car is it? No way you could shoehorn an 8" in that same enclosure with an adapter ring? I think those Alpine Type R 8" subs run in 0.3ft3.
It's an Jaguar XK8 convertible, and yeah, It should be possible, the body of the sub is 6 29/(32" wide. Any advice on how to best build an adapter ring?

How do you think two 8" type Rs would fare against two CDT M6+ es?

60ndown: I have two polk db6501 midbasses in the doors already. Currently I'm running 4 way active, but going to experiment with 3 way active. No room to make even a 6.5" tunnel, so don't think back placement is viable. But fitting an 8" in the small enclosures could be done with an adapter.

·
Registered
324 Posts
adapter is easy with an mdf ring, some bondo and fiberglass etc.
Easier said than done.

We don't know what's in front of the woofer and/or how much room there is between the cone & whatever panel covers it. Everything would be moot if the 1st time the system is played the woofer destroys itself on a trim piece.

I'm not saying I've never done that :p

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I was thinking two staggard MDF rings. One that fits the driver bolt pattern, and another either of the same size (might hang off the sides of the enclosure just a bit) or a tad smaller if it can fit with the taper of the sub basket without blocking all breathing room for the speaker (depending on where it vents, back of the magnet or not). Apparently those new Type R subs slam and are some of the best 8's out right now. Would probably make an awesome setup if you can fit them. But it does depend on what trim panels, etc go in front of and around that enclosure.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Peerless SLS should be in that list, cheap, powerfull and great for IB applications.

·
Registered
800 Posts
The DLS RW6 was made for ported enclosures. If you could do an external port some how, it would work well. The CVT's should also work the way it is. I had a pair that I tried IB in doors for Midbass and they sucked for that, but were awsome for strictly sub duty.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I have a good feeling about the CDT M6+ which is made for closed enclosures and to work as a sub.

As for the alpine, the body of the sub will fit through the current hole with slight modification, one ring of e.g. mdf might do it, I will probably have to cut a hole in the trim in front and put a grill on the woofer to protect it from all the savage drunk hot girls I fit in there.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have heard a lot of good things about the Focals. There is a member on here with a pair for sale. PM me if you want to know who.;)

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 99 Posts