DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am more interested in SQ or clarity than SPL. I have a Pioneer avh2550nex HU and JL 13TW5 v2 subwoofer. My thoughts right now are Mmats Hifi 6150d or Focal 6.900.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I did some research on the Focal amps earlier this year and I came across a few reports of issues but really there isn’t a lot of info about their amps. It also surprised me that Focal discontinued some of their amps pretty quick too.

I plan to pickup the MMATS early next year as I haven’t read anything negative about them and quite a bit of positive.

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Do you already have the DSP covered? They are pricey, but if you don't already have a DSP take a look at the JL VXi amps. They are a bit underpowered for their price, but the DSP probably makes them worth the price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did some research on the Focal amps earlier this year and I came across a few reports of issues but really there isn’t a lot of info about their amps. It also surprised me that Focal discontinued some of their amps pretty quick too.

I plan to pickup the MMATS early next year as I haven’t read anything negative about them and quite a bit of positive.
I have been seeing the same things. Not finding enough info on mmats though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you already have the DSP covered? They are pricey, but if you don't already have a DSP take a look at the JL VXi amps. They are a bit underpowered for their price, but the DSP probably makes them worth the price.
Unless I'm not understanding correctly, I was under the impression my radio was setup for active with 6 channels ,13 band eq and adjustable crossovers.

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Unless I'm not understanding correctly, I was under the impression my radio was setup for active with 6 channels ,13 band eq and adjustable crossovers.
My bad, didn't realize that Pioneer had network mode. So, you want to run 2-way components, plus sub, right? You only need 5 channels for that, which opens up more options than shopping for a 6 channel amp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bad, didn't realize that Pioneer had network mode. So, you want to run 2-way components, plus sub, right? You only need 5 channels for that, which opens up more options than shopping for a 6 channel amp.
The sub has its own mono amp. I thought I needed 6 channels for 3 ways. I am weak on the wiring end of things.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have been seeing the same things. Not finding enough info on mmats though.
But at least there have been quite a few DIYMA regulars that have run MMATS either currently or in the past and shared their results. Here are some from a quick search with the ones I’ve read most recently with their MMATS amps up front.

Jimmydee, DavidRam, Drop1, ChrisB, Bnlcmbcar, JamesRC, Dallasneon, Compuwiz1937,

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
That head unit will do a 3-way system, which means 2-way fromt, plus sub. It’s not designed for a 4-way, which is 3-way front plus sub.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
You will be able to run a 5 or 6-ch amp using your deck but a true DSP will give you more tuning/tweaking capabilities. You don’t need a DSP unless you plan to get a USB microphone and learn REW to tune your system better. And you can always add a DSP later if you decide you want to be able to tweak your system more. I’d recommend going with what you have now but keep in mind a future DSP in case you get the itch. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds good. Thanks

·
Registered
799 Posts
I know it’s not the best amp, but it fit my budget. I am also into SQ & this is my first class D amp for kids/highs (last system wasn’t a elite.4 and before that Adcom), been very please with the sound and power from the small chassis

audiocontrol D-6.1200 is what I went with

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Here’s a post where Jimmydee directly compared running the MMATS vs Focal FDP.

I've had my MMATS amps for a couple years now, and i can confirm that they are a solid choice. I couldn't be happier.

Actually, 2 or 3 builds ago, I was running Focal FDP amps. They were nice too (built by Zed).
They only issue I had with them, was the speaker terminal bolts stripped easily.
They also didn't seem to have the same oomph that the MMATS has (despite having the same ratings).
https://www.focal-america.com/product/fdp6900/

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Maybe start with what you believe you need in terms of requirements...?

Probably something like:
  • 20+W for tweeters and SNR of 110+dB and THD+N of <0.001.
  • 50+W for midrange and an SNR or 110+dB and THD+N of <0.005.
  • 100+W for woofer and an SNR of. 100(+)dB and THD+N of <0.1.
Whether one needs more power or less THD+N values lower deneds on speakers being used... For instance horns for tweeters would Ben less power and lower THD+N and higher SNR values.

Everyone sort of rates the noise, power and SNR importance differently... and my approach (shown above) differs from others.

So 3x 2 channel amps, or a 4ch +2ch are also good approaches to consider.
Or...
A class-A or AB for tweeters and/or mids and a class-D for woofers seems easy to justify.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe start with what you believe you need in terms of requirements...?

Probably something like:
  • 20+W for tweeters and SNR of 110+dB and THD+N of <0.001.
  • 50+W for midrange and an SNR or 110+dB and THD+N of <0.005.
  • 100+W for woofer and an SNR of. 100(+)dB and THD+N of <0.1.
Whether one needs more power or less THD+N values lower deneds on speakers being used... For instance horns for tweeters would Ben less power and lower THD+N and higher SNR values.

Everyone sort of rates the noise, power and SNR importance differently... and my approach (shown above) differs from others.

So 3x 2 channel amps, or a 4ch +2ch are also good approaches to consider.
Or...
A class-A or AB for tweeters and/or mids and a class-D for woofers seems easy to justify.
Thanks Holmz. First build in a long time,so info like this is much appreciated. Will definitely check into these options.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here’s a post where Jimmydee directly compared running the MMATS vs Focal FDP.
Yeah definitely another plus for the mmats. Will be checking into biketronics, haven't heard much about them yet.Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I am more interested in SQ or clarity than SPL. I have a Pioneer avh2550nex HU and JL 13TW5 v2 subwoofer. My thoughts right now are Mmats Hifi 6150d or Focal 6.900.
I went from Zapco St amps to Mmats Hifi6150 & M2000.2, and aside from having oodles more power, there was a very notable improvement in sound quality, too.

Get ready to swap the fan on the 6150 if you'll have the amp within earshot, though... That's a $13 part and 20 minutes of time. Mine is quite loud and I'll be swapping it to the Noctua this week.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Yeah definitely another plus for the mmats. Will be checking into biketronics, haven't heard much about them yet.Thanks for the reply.
Biketronics seems to have nice quality amps based on my reading and they are filling out their line though you have to find that info on DIYMA since their website doesn’t have their latest offerings. MMATS is more power dense so for the same number of channels and power, you’ll need more of the Biketrknics amps so the size ends up being a wash. And the Biketronics will be more expensive if using the larger multi-channels (6x180w) and more powerful Nicole modules. But they seem to be good amps based on my reading.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts