DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the best 6x9’s for my 2020 Tacoma. Came with JBL upgrade but they don’t sound all that great. Looking for clear crisp and loud. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
95 Posts
There is no best 6x9.

If you plan on adding a DSP and amplifiers, then you can do better with aftermarket 6x9. Otherwise, don't expect too much from a speaker swap.

Loud comes from the volume knob.
Crisp.... I don't know what crisp has to do with a speaker's sound.

Limited number of 2-ohm 6x9's that would take the place of the OE speaker. And, I doubt any would sound great without EQ or DSP tuning since Toyota has the OE speakers tune'd for their equipment and expectations.

Looks like a typical make the average person happy and the majority with good ears or expectations miserable

Probably would be best to start with this or competitor equivalent:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be using an amplifier. Looking for recommendations for top quality speakers.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Most folks around here seem to be happy with Frog GS690's. Not sure if they are the best. But, they are popular. Rumor has it that Image dynamics and Hybrid Audio also make OK 6x9's.

Ge0

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've been using the Infinity KAPPA PERFECT 900 6x9 in my truck for a few years. I'm using them for my Mid-Base in my 3-way+sub setup. I have them crossed at 72/350, and they are kick ass! Pushing 125 watts per speaker.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
As you can see, with a question like "what is the best 6x9", you'll get as many answers as you would with "what is the best motor oil?". :) So many options.... Not to mention that the "best" may change depending on your install - for example, one 6x9 may be the "best" for a 2-way setup and another may be "best" for a 3-way setup.

I personally like the CDT Audio 6x9's. I have tried 4 or 5 different 6x9's, including the AudioFrog GS690 and I ended up leaving the CDT Audio 6x9's in my car. Honestly, for my uses (up to 500hz max), there wasn't a whole lot of difference between the AudioFrog and CDT 6x9's. The CDT's were just a little easier to tune (required a little less EQ) - and a lot easier to install. Not to mention that I only paid $99 for the CDT CL-69S speakers.... They are slim, carbon-fibre speakers that drop right into my Challenger OEM baffles (the AudioFrogs didn't - even though they were the same depth, the speaker basket design didn't allow them to fit into the OEM baffles without spacers and OEM baffle modifications).

So the "best" 6x9 just depends on your specific needs....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Does Mr Marv still make those adapters and toyota specific sub boxes? Wasn't he making an 8" door adapter for some of the Toyota 6x9 locations?
Mr Marv was on this and the Tacomaworld forum. Probably will answer an email, forum message, or call.
The best 6x9 is an 8".... hahahahahah

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've got a pair of lightly used Audiofrog GS690s I'd let go fairly cheap if you're interested?

Ive used the ID x69 midbass, CDTs top of the line MB and the Frogs. The IDs were nice when they were in perfect working order but they just seemed to be too fragile for the door IB environment. The CDTs in my experience were junk! They were inexpensive compared to the others but much more than that they were CHEAP compared to any number of MB speakers. The Audiofrogs were hands down the best of the 3 IMHO. I really liked these speakers. I only removed them because I wanted to try an 8 in. MB so I bought a pair of Stevens MB8s and modified my doors to accommodate those Beasts!!!
Anyway PM me if intersted in the Audiofrogs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you have enough power to push them take a look at the Morel Tempo Ultra 6x9’s. I can’t say how they compare to the Audiofrog’s as I haven’t used them, but I’ve been very impressed with them so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts