DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I am putting a system together for my Ferrari 458.

I am using the following equipment for an active system:
- Audison Bit One
- Morel Elate Limited Edition Carbon mids and MT-24 Tweeters
- JL Audio 13TW5

As space is at a real premium in a 458, I am looking for a great high end small form factor amp.

I was leaning towards the JL Audio HD900/5, but some have said it is not too great and the Audison Voce 5.1 was a better option although a bit larger.

Given the components above what amp would you suggest? What is considered the best all in one amp, in a compact package?

THANKS

·
Registered
806 Posts
Will you be listening to the system with the engine OFF? Because if you're listening while the engine is on, any minute details that any amp might provide would be inaudible with that beast roaring. I would almost be inclined to pick the amplifier that looks the best for your installation scheme, since I would assume you'll want to show it off? Since size is also a major factor, the smaller amp again gets the nod.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will you be listening to the system with the engine OFF? Because if you're listening while the engine is on, any minute details that any amp might provide would be inaudible with that beast roaring. I would almost be inclined to pick the amplifier that looks the best for your installation scheme, since I would assume you'll want to show it off? Since size is also a major factor, the smaller amp again gets the nod.
Some good points and questions.

The music will only be heard with the engine on and the car being driven. I do listen to music loud so unless being pushed hard the engine noise shouldn't be too bad.

Space optimisation is the most important so the system will be stealth and not on display. This is why the form factor of the amp is important as I want as much storage as possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
Anyone that says the JL HD amps aren't top-notch should never be consulted again. The 900/5 would be perfect for your setup.
:eek: Dayaam that was bold son.......J/K .............I was waiting with anticipation on what was going to be recommended....can I PM you?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:eek: Dayaam that was bold son.......J/K .............I was waiting with anticipation on what was going to be recommended....can I PM you?
Sure

Hd900/5
Leviathan iii
Pdx v9

Those are your best options.
What would be your choice on the short list and which is the smallest?
Are the 3 you listed equal to or comparable to the Audison Voce 5.1?

Thank you for the help

·
Registered
810 Posts
How do pheonix gold's class d amps compare to the amps listed above? Been extremely impressed with my elite amps from pheonix gold.... Which is far from small, compact and light :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
HD900/5 is a good choice, but the Leviathan if you have the space, is the superior amplifier.

100w x 4 @ 4, only 75w x 4 @ 3 and 2 and 500 x 1 @4,3,2 on the HD900/5 coming in at 10.7 x 8.3 x 2 inches

190w x 6 @ 4 ohms, 330w x 6 @ 2 ohms, and bridge power is 660w x 3 @ 4 ohms coming in at 16.1 x 9.7 x 2 inches

Crossovers are superior on the Levi also, and it is cheaper. A whole organization builds the HD's and the Levi's are built by hand each one. Don't think it is close for the money, it strictly comes down to space. I have nothing against JL and it is a terrific amp. The fact it is also 6 channels allows you to run a 3 way front end actively, or a 2 way system bridged with a sub and a tremendous amount of power; and 16" really isn't that big. It will fit under a standard size seat as my amp in my signature is around the same size and fits comfortably.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
how much money do you have?

i assume with a Ferrari, equipment cost is not much of your concern. so why morel?

if i were you i guess i would be buying speakers fit for a supercar, not some average components.

just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how much money do you have?

i assume with a Ferrari, equipment cost is not much of your concern. so why morel?

if i were you i guess i would be buying speakers fit for a supercar, not some average components.

just my 2 cents.
Due to the engine noise, going with more expensive components would be a waste. Also many other more expensive components have very large tweeters that would require serious modification to the car, which I want to avoid. The Morel tweeter is very small and this is why I didn't go with an Esotar system.

What did you have in mind?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
in mind?

you are going with audison, so why not the audison thesis speakers? they are stunning to look at, not to mention they sound phoenominal in an aquaintances BMW X3.

it seems to me like you should be able to put the 6.5" and the 3" speakers in the doors possibly. i dont know what it looks like back there though. if you lived in california, i would suggest taking your car to Bing.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts