DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that you have owned, what is it and why? not interested in "they all the sound the same or a watt is a watt", best amp you have owned

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
This is easy for me. Old School Alpine 3920A mono blocks. Lots of power from a small footprint and they could be strapped together.

·
Registered
145 Posts
A/D/S PQ10. Provided all the reliable power I needed at the time and was flexible enough to be in several systems. SQ was as good as I could detect.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Orion HCCA 225 back in the early 90's. Ran my entire 10 speaker system with this amp and 2 Audio Control EQT's. Made all 12dB passive crossovers myself (ordered components from MCM - who remembers MCM?) and the subs were 2 - 10" Kicker Comps in a isobaric bandpass enclosure. I remember it being phenomenal but in reality I wonder how it sounded in comparison to today 30 years later. That amp was bulletproof and made 8 times it's rated power.

Reactions: Anu2g

·
Registered
919 Posts
Adcom GFA 4702 running passive 3-way front stage with A/D/S components on hand built crossovers (yes @DaveG from MCM.) Cleanest, most neutral and most dynamic system I had before 24 bit audio came out and the first dome tweeters/mids that I ever used.

Reactions: Porsche

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Genesis Series III - Four Channel - Class A Bias .. because it's ALIVE!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Drivers: p six mkii - 120x6 that sounds flawless AND a helix dsp onboard - there is none higher.

Sub: alpine m12, hands down, the best 1200 watts into 4 ohms I’ve ever heard.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a few:

1) Fosgate PR2100 - OK, this is truly old school, but it was such a big amplifier in its time, and I loved the controller with the slide volume, simple 3 band eq, and the lights of course - so classic! I still have it sitting in my garage. Could do without the DIN plug for sure :)
2) For the last 20 years, I have thoroughly enjoyed my McIntosh MC420. It has worked flawlessly and has never felt short of power - even with Focal 8ohm home drivers. Because of #3, I might be selling it soon.
3) Not sure yet - trying out some Mosconi Pros.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
that you have owned, what is it and why? not interested in "they all the sound the same or a watt is a watt", best amp you have owned
And you?

·
Registered
641 Posts
DLS A3 because it can run a front stage or it can be wired down to pound a sub with 1000+ watts.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Zapco AP is the best one I've had so far in my personal opinion. It has a very rich, full sound, almost like a depth and substance to the sound instead of cold and clinical like some amps would be the best way I could describe it...I smiled and was thinking "wow" the first time I listened to a song on it...

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i have 2 favorites, abyss dual mono and the adcom 4702, the adcom has a little bit more authority but the DM is a little bit ore musical

Reactions: daloudin

·
Listener of Music
3,903 Posts
Sound Monitor PAX 3A - 3P

Separate power source and amplifier connected via XLR. Clean, small, powerful, and unique.

·
Registered
286 Posts
any of my Phoenix Gold amps from the late '90s. underrated, clean, and silent. should have never sold them.

• MS-275 x 3
  • MS-2125 x 2
  • MQ-430

·
Registered
301 Posts
My trusty old Monolithic PA2000M(it's really just 1/2 of the original DM's Porsche is referencing above and not as highly biased). I've beat on that thing for years & it's never skipped a beat.

For a multi channel I'd have to say an old SS Reference 405. It's a very musical little amp that works great with high(er) efficiency speakers.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Alpine PDX-M12 - Driving 2 x Dayton Audio RSS265HO-4 10" subs
Alpine PDX-F6 - Driving Sb acoustics SB29RDNC-C000-4 Tweets and SB17MFC35-4 midwoofers

Compact , stackable , cool running , great sound , less draw on the electrical system and lots of power , only downside is cost.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts