DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

Registered
Mine come in a pair. Either '95 or '96 had a punch 200 and a punch 4080 with the bridge piece making the amps appear connected as one large amplifier. That one giant slab of a George Foreman grill flush mounted on top of the sub box holding a pair of RF audiophile 12's. Green coned Infinity Kappa 6 1/2 components. May have enjoyed that system the most due to working my a$$ off to pay for it. Didn't realize until years later that one of my friends that lived on the other end of the neighborhood told me he always could hear my highs playing well before he could hear the bass coming. Never realized that sitting in the regular cab S-10 馃ぃ

Registered
Hands down old school copper Tru Tech Tube amps, have owned the 7.4T and its most warm and pleasent sounding amp! Can listen to music for hours.
i have 2 favorites, abyss dual mono and the adcom 4702, the adcom has a little bit more authority but the DM is a little bit ore musical
I know youve owned plenty of Trus and high end equipment, how would you compare the hybrid tubes against the dual mono? Cheers bud

Registered
Oddly enough heavily modified Soundstream D60, D100, and D200 amps. Easy to upgrade. Absolute minimum signal path. Biased Class A generated a ton of heat but sounded buttery smooth.

Listener of Music
My favorite current amp is the Toro Tech Micro line. 100w x 4 for $79 or 800w for $109 in a 7x3x2.5" footprint that doesn't get warm or have a high noise floor at full tilt. I'm impressed everytime I look at them in my son's car.

Registered
Oddly enough heavily modified Soundstream D60, D100, and D200 amps. Easy to upgrade. Absolute minimum signal path. Biased Class A generated a ton of heat but sounded buttery smooth.
I have a couple Series 1 D200's that have been gone through. Great amps.

Registered
that you have owned, what is it and why? not interested in "they all the sound the same or a watt is a watt", best amp you have owned
Chris, interesting topic to start without explaining what loudspeakers were paired with the amp. I've performed a lot of research lately into raw drivers and find the differences much more profound than amp selection. Now if we could all start with Dynaudio Esotar2 drivers then it would be a level playing field. But, that is not going to happen.

If everyone does not mind. Moving forward please describe what drivers you were using at the time.

For instance I was using a/d/s/ PX series drivers with my Soundstream D series amps back in 1999?

Registered
got quite a few top end amps - Brax, McIntosh, SS DaVinci, PPI,.. I would have a hard time to pick the one that is above the others,...every one has its positive and negative sides, .....in last system I have run BRAX.

Registered
Some young guy on the other side of the country told me my Steg MSK 50sc sounded best.

I like my Desiderio a lot, it's big and bad ass looking.

Registered
Zapco z150.6ap just for its neutral sound, perhaps not the best midbass I鈥檝e heard... a 400.2 for midbass would be good... and use the two channels of the 150.6ap for a sub

or perhaps...

Genesis series 3 dual mono is likely a better midbass amp I think, perhaps a dmx even... 馃グ

Registered
2011 Prius rsx gs9>apl1 >helix dsp ultra>2 brax mx4鈥檚 &jl Audio 600/1> full focal Utopia m
McIntosh mc431, these things are non existent in the sound reproduction, completely neutral and quiet.

Registered
got quite a few top end amps - Brax, McIntosh, SS DaVinci, PPI,.. I would have a hard time to pick the one that is above the others,...every one has its positive and negative sides, .....in last system I have run BRAX.
You think the Brax sounds 鈥淭oo Clean鈥 or 鈥淐linical鈥 ??

I鈥檝e never heard one I鈥檓 just quoting what I鈥檝e heard others say.

I鈥檓 a person that likes warm, smooth amps though and I know some do not care for any 鈥渃oloration鈥 of the sound.

Premium Member
2020 Ford Mustang Ecoboost HPP
Class D: Ground Zero GZHA Mini series, they simply work. They have very little floor noise, good power, never get hot, well built, and small in size. Probably the cleanest class D I have heard yet.

Class A/B: Morel MPS 4.400 and Ground Zero GZPA 4SQ - Barely any floor noise, very good channel separation, never get hot, well built, and more practical in size vs other options of similar performance. Also, the prices aren't as extreme as other options.

Registered
Years back, we had a shop that sold soundstream amps and subs, denon heads, and ads speakers. They had a guy that worked there that had an active system and ran I think D 100s and D200s bridged to every speaker in the car. Each tweet and midbass had its own amp as well as each sub. My cousin had a maxima at the time and bought the exact set up, but only ran 2 amps. That was a clean sounding car and those amps, yep.

Registered
Mcintosh mc440 - That i still have but managed to lose one of the end caps. Being a young kid used to deck power or cheaper xplod amps, this thing was a game changer for me. Ran focal comp up front (don鈥檛 remember the series but something around $800 circa 99) and old school punch 6x9 in the rear.

Registered
Right now the Helix V Twelve is the best car amp I have ever heard. Or, is it just the speakers :)

21 - 40 of 51 Posts