DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed many amps have their freq response bandwidth of 20hz to 20k hz or thereabouts, within a certain db. I am looking for lower range for sub bass response. For example, today I found an Orion HCCA 250 "digital reference" with a 6hz low end of the bandwidth for frequency response, +/- 0.5db. That is pretty good. (best I have seen since I have been looking at this spec) I assume this is class a/b amp.

I could settle for a range going down to 15 or 16 hz with similar +/- db numbers. Or even maybe a plus or minus 3db, which some amps use on the frequency response spec.

2 QUESTIONS:

1.) Do any of you have any ideas of other amps which have frequency response extending at least to 16hz or lower?

(I prefer older usa or japan production, or modern euro production is ok. Prefer to avoid new chinese production if possible) class a/b please.

Thanks for any ideas everyone.

2.) And this is just a general question. I also wonder how a regular amp would perform down to 16 hz, which is not much lower than the rating of 20 hz, or 25 hz or whatever they have. Sure it won't be within the plus or minus of 0.5 db or 3 db or whatever the spec is, but would it be much much worse? Something that can't be fixed by an eq?

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Three things to consider.

1. Any amp that is rated 20-20khz at say +/- 1db, will also go down to say 15hz, except that 15 hz will be more than 1 db lower than 20hz.

2. Can your speakers play 15hz? At what spl?

3. Does the music you hear contain 12-15hz content?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Yeah, the question is do you have a driver capable of playing that low and do you have any audio with recordings that low.

What is it you are looking to power? I mean what sort of power and at what load do you need it?

·
Banned
8,729 Posts
Another specifications victim.
Unless there is filters present almost every amp can play down to DC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
There's a fair amount of music with bass down into the mid to upper 20's, but I'm not aware of any with frequencies in the infrasonic range. Guess if someone listens to bass tracks or remastered/remixed songs there could well be some down that low.

However, you have me curious, what is it you are listening to that has audio below 25Hz and even down into infrasonic range?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Pretty sure most music has some info down there in CD quality, not from a streaming site or MP3 tho they usually filter that, weather you can tell if its there or not might be worth looking into tho

·
Registered
832 Posts
20 years ago a shop I worked at we had a demo disc if I recall it had music from Star Trek.... Had whale sounds under 20hz....pretty fricken cool to listed to! Had some huge box with early 90's vintage infinity kappa 12's which were new at the time. I forget if we had 4 or 8 of those subs...

G

·
To the original poster....
The new Linear Power amplifiers are fantastic for low frequency duty....

I also like the new Zapco Z400.2

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Guess much of my music wouldn't have a lot of bass below 30Hz, but at the same time, most of my audio collection has been formatted in 320kbps MP3, which may well cut lows below 30Hz anyways. Never really looked into it, but now that you mention it, it might be worth looking into.

However, at the same time, I've not ran many setups that could play below 30Hz with a lot of authority anyways. Some of my better liked sub setups used JL 10W0-4, Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1, Boston G310-4, Polk MM1240D, and most recently, Polk MM1540 (all setups were ran sealed).

So yeah, low bass is hindered already with my gear. Guess it wasn't until the Boston that I switched to MP3's as my sole audio format.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I would not be so worried about finding an amp but finding a subwoofer and enclosure combo that can play clearly at that range. Get down 10hz and you are taking about a houses resonant freq. That low and you are going to hear your car shake apart more than the music. If an audio track plays below 20hz id be surprised. Some test tracks play that low for kicks and giggles but songs dont go that low.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Depends.

Eluveitie, which is folk metal, has stuff below 20hz in at least 3 of their 4 albums. There are several electronic albums that have stuff below 20hz.

That said, I entirely agree that the subwoofer is the weak link, not the amp. Every octave you go down, you need 4x as much displacement. So if your setup reaches to 30hz, and you want it to reach 15hz with the same authority, you'll need to increase your displacement by 4x. Either with 4x as many subwoofers, or significantly better subwoofers.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Depends.

Eluveitie, which is folk metal, has stuff below 20hz in at least 3 of their 4 albums. There are several electronic albums that have stuff below 20hz.

That said, I entirely agree that the subwoofer is the weak link, not the amp. Every octave you go down, you need 4x as much displacement. So if your setup reaches to 30hz, and you want it to reach 15hz with the same authority, you'll need to increase your displacement by 4x. Either with 4x as many subwoofers, or significantly better subwoofers.
What do you mean by displacement? Box displacement? Cone area? Wattage headroom?

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Also keep in mind, you won't hear 15hz, you'll feel it. If your hearing anything at 15hz, it's distortion, or resonances.
You won't hear it, and you MIGHT feel it. In order to get response down to 15hz with enough authority to feel you'll need plenty of power, and subs that can handle it.

To me, this is a strange goal to try to accomplish. My stereo is intended for music, I see no reason to get output from my system that I cannot hear. Even in a club, or a concert, the powerful feeling you get from bass is well above 20hz. So, if you want sub 20hz because you think it'll make your system sound more like live music, you'll probably be disappointed to find out that PA systems aren't giving you the "experience" by playing sub 20hz through the system. I don't see any reason to strive for sub 20hz subbass.

Additionally, the specs that the OP is reading on the amps are virtually useless. Thinking that an amp that can play down to 4hz is better than an amp that can only play down to 15hz is silly.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Displacement as in cone area, thus why he said, "Either with 4x as many subwoofers, or significantly better subwoofers".

And I completely agree, infrasonic output is, IMO, is nothing to purposely strive for in a system, but to each his own.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Displacement is cone area * excursion.

Either 4X the cone area or 4X the excursion. The latter isn't usually feasible so 4X as many drivers and 4X the power.
AHHH ok so thats what he meant by significantly "better", I was wondering.

And I agree, GOOD reproductions of 20-2000hz is much more important than trying to play below 20 or above like 16khz like people try to.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts