DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
They look pretty well-built, but a 33hz tuning is a little higher than I'd prefer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They look pretty well-built, but a 33hz tuning is a little higher than I'd prefer.
I would really appreciate if you could explain in a little more detail....I have no idea what lower or higher tuning would do to the sound.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I would really appreciate if you could explain in a little more detail....I have no idea what lower or higher tuning would do to the sound.

Thanks
I'm not too great at explaining something like this in detail, I'll probably add some misinformation somewhere along the way. But basically a higher tuning frequency (35hz & above) will give you a peaky response in your subwoofer frequencies, & a lower tuning (30hz & below) will help give you a flatter response & sound more natural. The reason I said 33hz was a little high for my tastes is because in my car I've had a sub tuned @32hz, & it had a rather peaky response that took away from the lower end response.

30hz & below - flatter response, more SQ based
35hz & above - peaky response, more SPL based
31-34hz - some of both(?), or could go one way or another depending on tuning with gains & EQ.

Those are just generalizations, & I'm sure someone will step in & correct me. :)

Here's a link that I found quickly that may give you a better description of what I was trying to say.

Choosing the Correct Port Tuning | Klaus Audio

1 - 6 of 6 Posts