DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so hard to figure out what to buy!! what are your opinions? im looking for high performance at cost-effective price. one thing i like about hifonics is the remote bass controllers, but i hear they are crappy.

as far as power needs, i'm thinking 500w or so to start, but would go higher. I would much rather have a way-overpowered amp with the gain turned down than a matched amp with the gain all the way up. (I like my headroom). Woofer also yet to be determined but i'll prolly decide after ive picked the amp (so i get max avail power for the impedance).

Id also like a built-in crossover for the sub stage, variable ideally.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i guess that is my problem, doing searches leads to so many options and features arent always clear. i guess that first part is a good problem to have...

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
You need the sub first to understand the load you'll need to drive.

Sub first, unless you know precisely what sub you are getting. Reason? Sub matters much more than the amp for the sound! What box size you are aiming for, ported, sealed, etc. All that counts more than the amp.

Once we know what sub you are after, getting a sub-$200 amp will be CAKE.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Caraudio.com may be a better place for good power/cheap options for sub amps.

And get your sub first. no reason to short change a bunch of drivers cause you found an amp that looks good on paper

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
PG Xenons on ebay for cheap and any sub will work.

the mono 400 or 600

·
Registered
218 Posts
You need the sub first to understand the load you'll need to drive.
Gotta agree with that. If the sub you want to run is SVC 4ohm and the amp you chose doesn't make decent power unless at 2ohm or lower then you'll be under utilizing the amp and will be disappointed (especially if you don't have the space or money to add another sub).

Same deal if your sub have dual 2ohm coils and your amp's min impedance load is 2ohm. At 4ohm you won't get as much power as you should at 1ohm you'll burn up the poor amp (and you'll be sad either way).

You can go with the amp first, but that is limiting you to what you can run. The sub(s) should be the deciding factor (if you aren't already stuck with a particular amp). Once you choose a sub you'll know how much power you need into a particular load. Combine that with your budget and it will help you narrow down what to get.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Gotta agree with that. If the sub you want to run is SVC 4ohm and the amp you chose doesn't make decent power unless at 2ohm or lower then you'll be under utilizing the amp and will be disappointed (especially if you don't have the space or money to add another sub).

Same deal if your sub have dual 2ohm coils and your amp's min impedance load is 2ohm. At 4ohm you won't get as much power as you should at 1ohm you'll burn up the poor amp (and you'll be sad either way).

You can go with the amp first, but that is limiting you to what you can run. The sub(s) should be the deciding factor (if you aren't already stuck with a particular amp). Once you choose a sub you'll know how much power you need into a particular load. Combine that with your budget and it will help you narrow down what to get.
Also why I recommended the xenons since any impedance will be fine.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
yeah, they are bad-ass. Rare and old however.

The Pioneer Premier PRS amps sometimes do that "switch impedance" thing. I know I have one that likes either 4ohm or 2ohm equally w/ 600W bridged.

BTW those go nice and cheap on eBay and they are efficient as heck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, i was thinking id find the best amp for the money, then find a sub to match its max output at whatever impedance it could go to. so if the best amp is 1-ohm stable i might buy a DVC 2ohm to get 1 in parallel. if the best amp for the money is only 2-ohm, then a dual 4ohm would be called for.

I see some PG xenons on ebay right now!

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
yeah, i was thinking id find the best amp for the money, then find a sub to match its max output at whatever impedance it could go to. so if the best amp is 1-ohm stable i might buy a DVC 2ohm to get 1 in parallel. if the best amp for the money is only 2-ohm, then a dual 4ohm would be called for.

I see some PG xenons on ebay right now!
I'd also recommend a Xenon. Very flexible, you'll be able to keep the same amp no matter what subs you end up with. They are a little big, but solid performers. Some people say you need to boost the voltage going to them, but I have mine running an IB set up, so I get plenty out of it with very little gain and no need for higher input voltage.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Someone on caraudio.com is trying to sell a Digital Designs M1a amp for $225. 1 ohm stable, very clean power.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts