DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel tempted to buy JL Audio C3 or C5 components. Unauthorized internet reseller prices are as low as $300 a set for a C5 with 1 year warranty. As a bonus, the actually can come in 5x7 woofer size. Is there anything better for this price?

PS: BTW, I have already discounted Hybrid Audio Imagines because based on everything I have read, their tweeters are optimized for coaxial use, and I am still not convinced that moving tweeters inside of my door panels into farther lower corner and having them fire into my feet will result in good staging and frequency response.

·
Registered
767 Posts
What kind of power are you looking at? I have been very satisfied so far with the Massive Audio CK6 Stage V's. They can be picked up for about $200. I have been running them for about 3 weeks now. I have them powered with about 240 watts each(careful gain setting) but you can run them with about 100 watts.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I feel tempted to buy JL Audio C3 or C5 components. Unauthorized internet reseller prices are as low as $300 a set for a C5 with 1 year warranty. As a bonus, the actually can come in 5x7 woofer size. Is there anything better for this price?

PS: BTW, I have already discounted Hybrid Audio Imagines because based on everything I have read, their tweeters are optimized for coaxial use, and I am still not convinced that moving tweeters inside of my door panels into farther lower corner and having them fire into my feet will result in good staging and frequency response.
That's inaccurate, I've used them as a component with tweet in pillar a few times and they sound good

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of power are you looking at? I have been very satisfied so far with the Massive Audio CK6 Stage V's. They can be picked up for about $200. I have been running them for about 3 weeks now. I have them powered with about 240 watts each(careful gain setting) but you can run them with about 100 watts.
That's another one I might look at. For some reason, previous reviews of Massive Audio products made me believe they're more of "SPL" components rathenr SQ. I think I got plenty of power. I can run 140-160watts RMS of Class A/B or Class D amplifier power.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's inaccurate, I've used them as a component with tweet in pillar a few times and they sound good
Did you use them in active setup? I have heard people saying that the tweeter usually plays too loud to be placed at the dash level or higher. The product manual strongly recommends coaxial setup as well..

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I've read that the c3 mid bass is stronger than the c5 mid bass since the c5 is more "natural" sounding, not sure if you have ran into any info like that. Again that's what i have read on the net a while back.

·
Registered
271 Posts
<----- paying attention..... Needs to find some too... I'm looking at the focal access 165a1 or the cdt audio cl62.....

·
Registered
114 Posts
<----- paying attention..... Needs to find some too... I'm looking at the focal access 165a1 or the cdt audio cl62.....
I've got 2 sets of Focal Access 165a1's acting as rear fill. Overall I'm fairly impressed with the sound, but the low end is disappointing even with four 6.5's. I can't complain as I paid nothing for them.

·
Registered
271 Posts
having them with subs though, that would fill in the low end or are you saying they are not full sounding(?) on the lower end of their range?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I assume it must be passive (unless your plan to be using active crossovers) and in a Ford/Mazda? What car and trim?

·
Registered
114 Posts
having them with subs though, that would fill in the low end or are you saying they are not full sounding(?) on the lower end of their range?
If you fancy a trip over to Spring (2920/Kuykendahl area) I'd be happy to let you play with them for your own ears to judge.

The low end isn't bad by any means, it just takes 4 of them to make what I figure the two front HAT L6's are. There are other factors at play there (more power, better speaker, pseudo sealed enclosure, etc) Overall the system kicks pretty damn hard, and I have no desire for a subwoofer.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I may take you up on that.... I bought two American Bass xd-65 for the subs. I am not wanting thuderous bass, I want it to be well balanced. just not sure if I want two two-ways (one for front and one for rear) or just the three-ways in the front.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts