DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Honda Odyssey
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that not all DSP are created equally. Some have features that others don't, etc.

It looks like I'm headed down the path of using a differential rear fill for the system I'm putting together. But I have zero experience with DSP's and their feature sets. I understand the basics of creating an active system and have no problem wiring it all up, but need a controller that can handle what I want to achieve.

There's the Dayton Audio DSP408 and the PRV DSP2.8X that seem well priced. Do they have the necessary features to pull this off? I'm assuming that there's no DD head units with DSP and enough RCA outs for what I'm trying to do. Or if there is it would likely be out of my price range.

I'm a newb to this, so if any of y'all have a recommendation I'm all ears.

·
Registered
19,644 Posts
Plenty can. Any of the good processors on the market can. My recommendation for the past 6 years has been Helix, and for a reason.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Plenty can. Any of the good processors on the market can. My recommendation for the past 6 years has been Helix, and for a reason.
He's a dealer guys. He wants to sell you the helix.
In case you didn't know the specific reason he didn't state.
Just a vage....
A jl audio twk is perfect for beginners.
It has 3 modes of set up. From beginners to pros.
I'm not trying to sell you one. But you should probably try one.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
three come to mind:
  • arc audio ps8pro
  • helixes
  • minidsp 2x4 w/ rear/center plugin

i haven't used the ps8pro's rear fill functions

i wish the helix pro mk2 had more delay, 20ms wasn't enough for me. other helix platforms may have more but i haven't looked.

2x4's 27ms was enough. the rear/center plugin only has mono eq, but i was able to use its independent levels and time-alignment to make it work

i've had rear fill installed in my car since early 2018 and it's only been on for like six months. it took a long time for me to get tuned correctly without messing up my front staging cues.

·
Registered
19,644 Posts
He's a dealer guys. He wants to sell you the helix.
In case you didn't know the specific reason he didn't state.
Just a vage....
A jl audio twk is perfect for beginners.
It has 3 modes of set up. From beginners to pros.
I'm not trying to sell you one. But you should probably try one.
Damn straight I am. There's not a single person on this forum that could provide better support for the best dsp on the market. So yeah, no reason not to buy from me if it fits your needs (which, lets be real, it will. The Audiotec Fischer lineup is the most flexible DSP lineup on the market). For a beginner, I am a great resource to have in your back pocket.

That said, OP is in Canada. Out of my territory. I can direct him to a local dealer though. Thanks for helping Thomas :)

·
Registered
19,644 Posts
three come to mind:
  • arc audio ps8pro
  • helixes

i wish the helix pro mk2 had more delay, 20ms wasn't enough for me. other helix platforms may have more but i haven't looked.

2x4's 27ms was enough. the rear/center plugin only has mono eq, but i was able to use its independent levels and time-alignment to make it work

i've had rear fill installed in my car since early 2018 and it's only been on for like six months. it took a long time for me to get tuned correctly without messing up my front staging cues.
The Ultra, v8, and v12 can get up to about 37ms delay.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Any stereo pair of outputs can do differential rear fill.

Obviously, if you can invert a channel and add two channels together in your DSP, this is probably the simplest way to do it.

If you can't do it in the DSP, you can do it with a ground loop isolator and a Y adapter. Open the case of the isolator and reverse the polarity of the right channel output and then feed both outputs into a Y. The resulting output will be L-R. If you don't want to open the case, you can cut off the right RCA output end and solder a new one on in reverse polarity and feed them both into a Y adapter. The resulting output is L-R.

·
Premium Member
2021 Camaro 2SS
641 Posts
Would you need to also do a R-L? or would you feed the single L-R signal to the amp in mono?

·
Premium Member
2021 Camaro 2SS
641 Posts
Do you mean me or the OP?
For me, it's exactly because I've never run one. I have the speakers already there and the amp channels to drive them so why not try and see what that sounds like...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Do you mean me or the OP?
For me, it's exactly because I've never run one. I have the speakers already there and the amp channels to drive them so why not try and see what that sounds like...
OP, but no worries for jumping in. I've often considered setting one up temporarily for exactly the reasons you listed.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have been running differential rear fill for the last two years. It certainly makes a difference in width and staging. It adds a sense of "fill" to the front stage without it pulling backwards and also widens the stage. This was with a Helix V8 and now Ultra.

Reactions: KillerBox

·
Premium Member
2021 Camaro 2SS
641 Posts
I haven't done it so far because I thought you must have two free output channels and I only have 1. But if I can do it on a mono output, I will definitely try it.

·
Registered
19,644 Posts
I haven't done it so far because I thought you must have two free output channels and I only have 1. But if I can do it on a mono output, I will definitely try it.
You can kinda get away with it with 1 dsp output. Its not ideal, but it can still work. Just gotta set it up correctly and be mindful of the limitations of using 1 output and how to get around said limitation.

·
Premium Member
2021 Camaro 2SS
641 Posts
Thanks SkizeR. I don't really know how to set it up correctly on mono, that the part I have to figure out :) But knowing it's possible was the first step

·
Registered
19,644 Posts
Thanks SkizeR. I don't really know how to set it up correctly on mono, that the part I have to figure out :) But knowing it's possible was the first step
Once I'm done driving to Massachusetts I can get back to you on this.

·
Premium Member
2021 Camaro 2SS
641 Posts
Thanks so much. Please drive safe and stop answering posts LOL

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
three come to mind:
  • arc audio ps8pro
  • helixes

I'm not aware of any of the ARC DSPs that can do differential outputs even with the newest update which added a ton of superb features.

Maybe it was added..but the matrix doesn't do differential either last I checked on any of mine

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Make your single dsp channel L-R, reverse polarity on the passenger side rear (physically at the speaker or amp) and max out the delay. You’ll have to eq them as one channel though. I just took the peaks out and set pass band 300-3500hz at around -8dB. You’ll have to play with it to blend right. Make that channel it’s own group so you’re not changing delay across the board.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts