DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
title says it all, three year old Clarion Head Unit, will be powering two pairs of 5.25 coxials

the local shops carry the following,

Alpine Type-S
Morel Maximo
JBL GTO 528
Pioneer TS-A1374R
Pioneer TS-D1302R
Energy ENC525X2

I'm not against ordering something online if anybody has suggestions

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Their all going to sound about the same. Hair thin no midbass and distorted as hell at any kind of real volume level.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i guess there's some truth to that with the lack of amp which will come later but for now it's what i gotta deal with

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
What kind of budget are you working with?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$125 max per pair

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Per pair, So you got 250 if you ditched the rear fill. Depending of the car you got could be well worth it if you did.
But if your not willing to go that route then the Morel Maximo

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
prefer the rear fill, 4 channel amp not too far down the road

·
Registered
267 Posts
The hertz dcx130 have grown on me alot. They seem to be very efficient. Every customer that's bought them has been happy.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
The right ones can work well, low power speaker are more efficient...but you can't go low power if you plan to put an amp in. The best coax I used low power were good brands but the lower power ones. Get an Alpine at the least for example, what one depends on the car and sound you like. Some are brighter some not, get the most bass you can if you can listen to them. I used to run a lot of lower power speakers, they would blow here and there. They go louder until they puke lol, have to be real careful of clipping them. Some of them really sound good for cheap, while higher power speakers the cheaper ones seem to suck and good brands are not cheap. But I've not bought a lot of speakers lately.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Polk dB series are worth a look. Not sure what they cost up in Canada, but here in the US, you can get them for ~$50 a pair. Go low on the Coaxs and save your money for later upgrades (sub, amps, components, sound deadening, etc)

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
prefer the rear fill, 4 channel amp not too far down the road
I wouldnt worry about rear fill, ever, lol. you may find you dont need or want it. for$250 you can get a nice comp set that wont need replacing when you get your amplifiers.

Their all going to sound about the same. Hair thin no midbass and distorted as hell at any kind of real volume level.
sorry, have to disagree. I run my comps off deck power. 18W x 4 and it is loud enough that I turn it down most of the time. bass is decent for having only a 6.5" and a HLCD per side. (of course once I upgrade and buy my amplifiers, it will be loud enough for conecert, but for now it works, lol)

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Once had this car and was working out of town, had no radio driving me nuts and no time/place to do anything. Finally got out my nice high output (LOL) HU I'd never run a speaker with before and installed it. It was a nicer sony. Car had mid/tweets in front and maybe a 6x9 in back never did see them, were factory speakers. I said f-it and hooked it up and it worked, off to work I went. Well it sounded pretty nice actually so I bought a cheap powered 8" sub it would just fit in the hatch. While it didn't go that loud that system sounded really nice. Bass could have gone lower but just saying it can work pretty well. Was a small car so it seemed louder than I would have thought.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I'm running my factory Saturn comps off my Alpine CDA-117, and they SCREAM loud and clean. The 117 goes up to 35, but I never listen to it past 20 because it's so loud. So, I set my sub amp to play full volume at 20. Alpine HU + factory Saturn comps + time alignment + JBL P1224 sounds excellent to my ears for a total of $900 for all gear and materials.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts