DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the best HU would be for an all active set-up, without having external crossovers.

My criteria for the HU is as follows:
- At least 4-volt out, with at least three sets of RCA outs: one for highs, one for midrange/midbass, and a subwoofer output.
- As much control over crossover frequency and roll-off as possible. I'd like to be able to step the order by 1/3 octave at a time as well.
- A parametric EQ, with as many bands and controls as possible.
- An aux input, front or back, of some sort, so I can hook my iPod up.
- Between $150-$300 eBay pricing.

That's about it. There were a couple Eclipse decks I was looking at that seemed to fit the bill, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any specific models that would match my criteria.

PS: I just got my CA18RNX's from Madisound today... and DAMN these suckers are HUGE!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another question: Would setting a crossover slope on a HU at 12 db, and then setting the crossover slope on the amp at 12 db at the same frequency give the same result as if there was an acoustical roll-off at that point? So 24 db? If there was a 12 db acoustical roll-off at the same point as well would it be 36 db?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That can only go up to 200 Hz for the high-pass crossover. I need something that can go up to 2500 or so.

My front stage is going to be CA18RNXs in the doors, in door pods, and Aurum Cantus G2Sis in the a-pillars.

·
Registered
989 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
not gonna find too many HU's under 300 that can run active. the 860 is a good suggestion, I have that right now so LMK if you have any questions about it.
network mode lets you run 3 separate outputs, hi, mid, low. you can independently adjust each source's level, x-overs, slope, polarity, and TA.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhh... then maybe I will look into the 860. I work at BestBuy (I know, laugh if you want) and the closest thing I found to the 860 on BestBuy.com is the DEH-P80MP. Employee cost would bring it down to probably upper 200's.

Are any of Alpine's HUs from this year any good? I can get those for below cost because of an accomodation.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Alpine 9853

Or you could search for a new or used 9833, 9835... I had a 9815 & even that was a very nice HU even though the outputs were not quite 4v as claimed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to have a 9815 too, and it was awesome, except, like you said, I had to turn my gains up on the subwoofer amp beyond where I would have liked.

The 9853 only has 2-volt outputs... can anyone see that being a problem?

·
Registered
120 Posts
87DXHatch said:
Ahhh... then maybe I will look into the 860. I work at BestBuy (I know, laugh if you want) and the closest thing I found to the 860 on BestBuy.com is the DEH-P80MP. Employee cost would bring it down to probably upper 200's.

Are any of Alpine's HUs from this year any good? I can get those for below cost because of an accomodation.
best buy used to carry the 8600mp (the non "premier" version, basically the same unit as the 860) but dosent any more. i know they do carry the alpne 9853 and 9855 though. they seem to be very nice units. although i think the 9853 only has 2v preouts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've found the 860mp for around $300 on eBay. It looks really neat... I might go with it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
2v outputs shouldn't be a problem at all...

Heck... anyone ever bother to measure the voltage peaks while playing music at your favorite listening levels?

Some of the tests I've seen puts 4v of output with a sine wave at the highes volume level... now who does that often?

Now if you have an amp with high noise floor & it is grossly intencified by the gains, then I'd say the amp is the problem.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've had a Pioneer P1R for the longest time. I've loved the headunit. Never had a problem with it. It used to be pioneer's top of the line unit back around 10 years ago... It sold for around $1k, you can get it on ebay for roughtly $150 now if you hunt.

It has 7.5Volts RCAs, TA, EQ, 3 way crossovers, etc. Very similar features to the 860mp. (the 860mp is a better choice if you want to spend a bit more money).

I'ved noticed that your criterias included:
- An aux input, front or back, of some sort, so I can hook my iPod up.
Note that for the the 860mp or the P1R, or any pioneer headunit for that matter. An adapter is required for the aux input.

David

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Your best bet is an Eclipse headunit, if you can find one in that price range... as it has the best eq flexibility. Next an Alpine, and lastly a Pioneer for lack of a parametric eq.

If you've ever played with a behringer dcx2496 though, you'll never go back to headunit processing again. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know that the Pioneers require the extra adapter for the input, that's not a problem, I can get the adapters for cheap.

I would like to do the Behringer thing, but I simply don't have the money for the processor, power supply, and other **** I need for it.

I will take a look into the P1R... I would like an Eclipse though.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Somehow that sounds like it would be more than $300.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts