DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I just re-read this again and noticed you are grounded directly to the battery. I would remove from battery post and ground amp to body ground at battery.

If you were to remove the body ground while leaving your amp hooked up like that your car will effectively ground through your amplifier.

It may not cause you issues per say, but it is good practice.

·
Banned
1,554 Posts
Hello all. Dealing with a little bit of an alternator whine issue on my 2007 Porsche Cayman. I'm running a Sony xav-ax5000 head unit rca out to a Zapco DSP Z8 which feeds a JL Audio XD800/8. I'm getting a persistent alternator whine due most likely to the fact that the RCAs between head unit and DSP must pass very close to the main charging cable for the battery. I've upgraded the RCA cables to shielded ones, checked grounds, reduced amplifier gain as much as possible, etc, but it's not cooperating so far.

Any ideas on how to best deal with this? A balanced line driver crossed my mind, but I don't know what options are out there these days.
I assume the power wiring/charging system is correct and decent.

Then I would start by removing the deck from the signal path and checking for improvement. Unhook the deck and drive the DSP with and ipod or something. If there is improvement, look into better deck grounds or the RCA shielding trick (which very often helps, especially with Pioneer decks for example.)

If no improvement, eliminate the DSP also and try driving each amp with an ipod to try and further isolate the problem.

During these tests, you may want to use minimal or at least nominal gain settings

·
Registered
603 Posts
Are any of the items of equipment screwed to the metal body of the vehicle? As I’ve known that cause ground loops in rare cases, I’ve yet to experience a whine or hum I couldn’t sort in one way or another through swapping parts/earth locations/fixing points

21 - 24 of 24 Posts