DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new car. I found this thread from 2016 so I figured I'd start a new one: Best vehicle for SQ

1. Under $75k
2. The smaller the car the better. I don't have kids and I hate driving big luxury boatlike cars so no Lexus type cars.

For example, I'd prefer to not have a SUV but would it be an advantage having A pillars like these where the stock tweeter location is pointing towards the cabin?
Vehicle Gear shift Car Speedometer Motor vehicle

I'd love to buy a 2018 - 2019 Golf R but there's no stock location for a mid in a 3 way. I found this old build thread from @SkizeR who does badass work. Not sure if I want something this in your face/aftermarket.

Car Vehicle Photograph White Motor vehicle

I have Focal Utopia Ms from a previous build. Want to try the big boy Zapco AP and a new sub.

Am I way overthinking this?

Attachments

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I'm considering a 22 Civic SI but with the stupid car market right now, I have to order and wait for one most likely. Something about paying over sticker for a used Civic...

· Banned
24,246 Posts
Been working on a lot of cars of all types over the last few years. The answer to this question purely depends on what level of modification you are looking to do/are okay with doing. Some cars offer great OEM locations that are simple, but for that next step in performance using custom locations don't offer a great platform vs others. After my time doing this, I don't think I've found a better platform that offers both than the car I got specifically for this reason (and end results so far confirm).. 2019+ Volvo S60 R-Design. The V60 would probably be even better due to the s60s downsides. Oem locations are good. Great, even. Especially if you prefer a wide Soundstage over something narrower yet deeper. But for custom locations, easy cut to the dash and tweeter in pillar and I have the best sounding system I've had to date. Only downside, options for sub setups are limited due to trunk space.
Cars I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole for this include Newer BMW's unless you are willing to get crazy with modifications, 2010's Audis (not 100% sure about newer ones yet), any SUV, any truck, most Mercedes unless again you are okay with a more "fun" Soundstage instead of precise. Oh, tesla's are also great platforms. Only downside is **** QC from their factory. The lower models will require a lot of work for rattles/resonance.

· Registered
6,532 Posts
Not sure what you mean by modern (like not a classic car?)

2001-2008 Ford Focus (all day Long baybee)
Ga¥ass car but great for sq….

and a mid 2000s Honda CR-V was really good also.

both cars have no center console. I’m guessing that was part of the reason they sounded so good.

other then that….. what Nick said was pretty dam on point and would have to agree. Except the tundras (for trucks) *can sound good. Stock locations the ones with tweets in sail. And some creativity for the sub. Pretty dam good actually. Same with the Ram trucks from that era , except your cutting in tweets. Silverados (no thanks)

· Registered
2,454 Posts
I have a 2017 GTI that I think would be a pretty good starting point for a small car. The useless little triangle window up front could easily be turned into a spot for a midrange and not be obtrusive. There’s a couple of good build logs here for those cars. Plus…they’re an absolute blast to drive and cheap to modify. I won’t buy a car just because it’s good for audio…it has to be fun also. The more fun the better and it’s hard to find a more fun car than a newer GTI or Golf R.

· Registered
618 Posts
@SkizeR why no trucks? I’m not talking about competition level, but a decent system should be doable, or not?
Thought about getting the new Ranger Raptor as full-size trucks are just too big for German cities.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been working on a lot of cars of all types over the last few years. The answer to this question purely depends on what level of modification you are looking to do/are okay with doing. Some cars offer great OEM locations that are simple, but for that next step in performance using custom locations don't offer a great platform vs others. After my time doing this, I don't think I've found a better platform that offers both than the car I got specifically for this reason (and end results so far confirm).. 2019+ Volvo S60 R-Design. The V60 would probably be even better due to the s60s downsides. Oem locations are good. Great, even. Especially if you prefer a wide Soundstage over something narrower yet deeper. But for custom locations, easy cut to the dash and tweeter in pillar and I have the best sounding system I've had to date. Only downside, options for sub setups are limited due to trunk space.
Cars I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole for this include Newer BMW's unless you are willing to get crazy with modifications, 2010's Audis (not 100% sure about newer ones yet), any SUV, any truck, most Mercedes unless again you are okay with a more "fun" Soundstage instead of precise. Oh, tesla's are also great platforms. Only downside is **** QC from their factory. The lower models will require a lot of work for rattles/resonance.
Wow...you're a rock star. I think I've read hundreds of your posts over the years on this forum, reddit, and facebook trying to learn more about car audio.

That's funny you mention to avoid BMW. I bought a brand new M240i six months ago. It's 3900lbs for a car that small and has the stupid woofer under the seat. I hate the car and am getting rid of it as soon as I figure out what to replace it with.

Going to start researching Volvos. I have a fun weekend car so a "boring" Volvo might work for a daily driver.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 2017 GTI that I think would be a pretty good starting point for a small car. The useless little triangle window up front could easily be turned into a spot for a midrange and not be obtrusive. There’s a couple of good build logs here for those cars. Plus…they’re an absolute blast to drive and cheap to modify. I won’t buy a car just because it’s good for audio…it has to be fun also. The more fun the better and it’s hard to find a more fun car than a newer GTI or Golf R.
The GTI and Golf R are exactly what I want. Wasn't sure if they were good for audio. Owned a 2015 Golf R before. Looking at 2018-2019 with the updated MMI screen.

I actually read the old build threads and people mentioned how the angle of the A-pillars is kinda awkward. I think it was Skizer that redid a build a customer had originally done at another shop and wasn't happy with.

· Banned
24,246 Posts
Wow...you're a rock star. I think I've read hundreds of your posts over the years on this forum, reddit, and facebook trying to learn more about car audio.

That's funny you mention to avoid BMW. I bought a brand new M240i six months ago. It's 3900lbs for a car that small and has the stupid woofer under the seat. I hate the car and am getting rid of it as soon as I figure out what to replace it with.

Going to start researching Volvos. I have a fun weekend car so a "boring" Volvo might work for a daily driver.
The T6 R Design S60 is definitely not boring, but also not like an m240i. Also, I have the car so if you need anything made, I have the template :)

· Banned
24,246 Posts
@SkizeR why no trucks? I’m not talking about competition level, but a decent system should be doable, or not?
Thought about getting the new Ranger Raptor as full-size trucks are just too big for German cities.
Sub bass always sounds a bit off in them for me. Also, locations typically aren't great and the Soundstage most will give is not something I would personally want. My preference leans all the way over to the technical side. It bugs me if my staging and imaging around spot on, perfectly even, perfectly straight, etc.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The T6 R Design S60 is definitely not boring, but also not like an m240i. Also, I have the car so if you need anything made, I have the template :)
I've literally thought about bringing you my car and say reuse these Focals and have at it with the rest of the equipment and install. I'm gonna read up on your personal car build thread again.

· Banned
24,246 Posts
I've literally thought about bringing you my car and say reuse these Focals and have at it with the rest of the equipment and install. I'm gonna read up on your personal car build thread again.
I haven't updated that thread in a while. Its almost totally different now. Only thing that hasn't changed is the amp rack

· Registered
2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring Reserve
500 Posts
Corolla hatchback. deaden the heck out of it and theyre super reliable
Would not recommend a newer one for car audio. I sold my 2022 last month and even with the "Enhanced Cargo Space" option (read: spare tire delete), the cargo room was pretty ****e for a hatchback (I had a 2004 Mazda 3 hatch and a 2019 Kia Stinger before the Toyota). It is also not what I'd call a fun car. It handles well, and is certainly tossable, but the engine is a bit underpowered and the noise it makes is horrible. Maybe if you get your hands on the new GR Corolla, and you don't care about the cargo space.

· Registered
60 Posts
What do you hate about newer BMWs?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts