DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have an Audi S5 with B&O sound and I want to replace the entire sound system except the OEM headunit.

I need advice on the best place to mount the tweeters and mids. I want to use the OEM locations as much as possible. The factory doors have a place up high for the mids and a place down low on the panel for the midbass. The A-pillars have very small probably 1" overall diameter tweets in the factory locations.

I was thinking of mounting the tweeters in the dash factory locations firing up at the windshield, but after removing the grills, it seems the grill and dash opening will interfere with the sound.

What is your advice on where I should mount the mids and tweets in a car like this?

Front stage equipment:
  • SB29 tweeters (overall diameter is a little less than 3")
  • Audiofrog GB25 mids (2.5")
  • Image Dynamics CX62 (6.5")
I will also be installing a Helix DSP.

Thanks in advance!

Here are some pics of the OEM dash locations.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I hate the habit Audi have of making these decent size speaker grills making it look like something could work easily, but only half of it being a grill and the speaker being either a pain to get at, smaller than you would think given the size of the grill or both. Those pictures of the dash speaker set up are disappointing, I am looking to pick up an Allroad and I believe it has the same set up with the dash speakers.

My current A4 does not have the speakers on the dash, just the 2 in the doors so I ended up putting mids in the kick panels. I tried running a center channel a few years back, but had the same issue you are with those dash speakers. A nice long grill, that when removed both the grill and dash opening block the speaker and there is not a lot of room in there either.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Completely agree with you Naiku!

If anyone has removed these dash speakers from an Audi B9, please let me know how you did it?

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I have a B8.5, S4 - so not much help. The feller I bought it from cut the plastic under the dash grill, dropped in a 3” driver, and fab’d a grill cloth grill to go over it. Tweets in the sails, and 8’s in the door.

With the Helix DSP and a good tuner - you would likely get good sound if you installed the tweets in the dash location (maybe doing something different with the grill), GB25’s and ID 6.5’s in the door. It would likely take more work with the DSP with those locations.

I was stunned by the quality of Ben Howard’s voice with my mid range firing up to the windshield on a drive this morning. So ‘less than optimum’ speaker locations can work with processing power and tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I have a B8.5, S4 - so not much help. The feller I bought it from cut the plastic under the dash grill, dropped in a 3” driver, and fab’d a grill cloth grill to go over it. Tweets in the sails, and 8’s in the door.
If things work out and I pick up a B8.5 Allroad, I am going to be closely inspecting your install in May (and picking that other fellers brains) on the dash speakers, wire routing etc. and if you find your glove box missing..... :cool:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Jason, just saw your build thread. We have similar taste in cars, mine is a daytona grey sportback. Your amp rack is out of this world awesome!!!

This is my daily driver, so I don't want to go too crazy and giving up my spare tire is not an option. I'll have to get creative with installing all the additional gear.

Thanks for you tip on cutting the plastic below the grill and fabricating new grills.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a b8.5 s4 and am replacing the b&o system as well. I’m planning on putting illusion audio c3cx in the mid dash spots. They’re a coax design with the tweeter in the middle of the mid and act as a point source. Theoretically they should be easier to tune than separate mids and tweets. Just throwing out another possibility I haven’t seen mentioned yet. They occasionally pop up in the classifieds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I'd like to tryout the mids/ tweets I have first and if I don't like them move on to something else. I usually switch out gear often, but with work and a baby on the way I won't have much time to play with the car.

If this install gets to be too time consuming- I may just go with a smaller tweeter like the Audiofrog GB10 in the dash or A-pillars.

Here are some pics of the car. After I DIYed ceramic coated it :)

And here it is after I had it tinted.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree 👍 The S7 is just a little too big for me. I wish the RS5 Sportback would have been available when I bought mine, I would have seriously considered it.

Here are some pics of the factory locations.

A-pillars

Door panel mid/ mid-bass

A-pillar + door panel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts