DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, after purchasing the new Chevelle CD, I've finally decided to take the plunge into using different file formats. My library is all mp3 now, and I've always ripped to 320kbps using EAC. EAC always had rave reviews, but I really questioned the SQ of some of the mp3's it created. It just seemed like I could find better sounding ones...not so legally. Anyway, I use an iPod (unfortunately) for my 9800BT, which I can't live without. Switching CDs drives me nuts. The rest of my library gets played via Google music. Google music accepts FLAC (even though it converts it to 320kbps mp3), so I'd like to convert my entire library to FLAC for the times that I play music on my laptop of home stereo. What is the best program for ripping to FLAC? Also, if anyone has a recommendation for a better program to rip to Apple lossless beside iTunes, let me know. I'll be ripping all my CDs in dual format. I have 1.5TB of storage space on my laptop, which should cover my CD collection (not super huge).

·
Registered
575 Posts
dbpoweramp

It will rip to any format you want, verify the rip against known good rips, do batch conversion including lossless to lossless (flac to aac) and has a pretty decent tag editor.

It seriously replaced like four programs I used to use to do my ripping.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I prefer using EAC for ripping into wav or flac format, but once the music is ripped, I use foobar2000 to manage it (it has capabilities for file organization, mass tagging, mass renaming, DSPs, conversion into any format, etc, but its own CD ripper is not good when working with scratched CDs, etc).

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you haven't seen this list:

FLAC - documentation

Under Linux I use k3b and under MS WIndows, media- monkey. Really good news is that ripping to flac is very quick- basically limited to the speed of the CD reader for me on a i2500k.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I use dbpoweramp. Been coverting torrented FLAC to WAV, etc for years

gawd I love DVD-A

·
Registered
106 Posts
EAC is my weapon of choice. I love the ripping abilities, rip quality comparisons, and freeDB/CDDB/GD3 metadata services. I spent the $7 and did the GD3 thing and have been *very* happy with it so far. 600 CDs ripped and counting. There's an occasional miss, but it's way better than FreeDB in a lot of cases. (Or maybe I just have odd taste in music. lol)

I do think you have to play around with the built in encoder settings a bit to get it right. I've actually written a whole article on using Nero's AAC encoder with EAC if you're interested in it. Using Nero, I get (what I consider to be) great quality encodes with full metadata and cover art.

Best of luck on your ripping!

·
Registered
840 Posts
dbpoweramp

It will rip to any format you want, verify the rip against known good rips, do batch conversion including lossless to lossless (flac to aac) and has a pretty decent tag editor.

It seriously replaced like four programs I used to use to do my ripping.
x2 Same experience. Nothing but good stuff.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies. I think im going to give dbpoweramp a shot. i keep my CDs in pristine condition, so there probably is no need for using EAC anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts