DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

Any thoughts on the ideal enclosure for this popular driver? I see that Scan recommends a 2 liter sealed and lightly stuffed enclosure for the 12MU Illuminator - and just wondered what people had tried? What they liked a lot? What just didn't cut it?

I'm probably going to modify my custom fiberglass enclosures soon and will likely be comparing a sealed test vs. my current set-up on the RTA this afternoon with no eq just to see what differences I'll see. I expect the sealed will be much flatter, given my current set up's inherent faults... although the eq has them sounding pretty good now. I'd just like to use less of it if I can.

Thoughts?

Less

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info - sealed and stuffed a safe assumption? Any special baffle or clay use worthy of note?

I'll be measuring my 2liter apprx enclosure tomorrow - had to get some clay to seal my old grill holes...

BTW - really like your new sig... egos on the ether world get carried too far too often... fallen prey to that myself and ended up taking a long vacation from DIYMA as a result.

·
18,694 Posts
Yea, it was sealed and stuffed. The side window in the pillar (can't recall if you have a sedan or not). Nothing really special, TBH.

Re: Signature - Yea. I'm sick of seeing people here arguing just to be right rather than sitting back and thinking about what they're arguing and what they're trying to prove. It's ridiculous. I'm all for debate; but arguing just for the sake of appearing you know wtf you're talking about is stupid and a waste of time. I took a hiatus myself for the same reason. I came back to start testing again. :)

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
To get a Q between .577 and .707 you are looking at 5.4l to 2.2l net. You can probably get away with a stuffed 1.5l box and some stuffing before you get resonance forming.

If you cross high for pure midrange use I've seen a lot of projects with a Q of up to 1. I think the trick is to cross over the peak. That is the equivalent of .7l net. or maybe .5l plus stuffing.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trying to calculate this out. 2 cubic liters equals 125 cubic inches according to a chart I looked at. Thats only a 5 inch cube... and I was somehow under the impression it was a little more. Time to try a little filler... I wonder how using some close cell spray foam would work for that?

Thanks - I did the math on that long ago, but I've slept a lot since then lol.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts