DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so here's the deal. I currently have a setup consisting of an old Audiobahn 1200w amp and 3 Audiobahn Alum10's. I may have the opportunity to pick up another 3 identical subs on the cheap. Worth it? It seems to me that more drivers= more sound with less power. Maybe I'm wrong. I know that the sound waves could potentially cancel out a bit but this should be fixable through phase adjustment and time alignment right?

If I do purchase these subs, I'm going to need a new amp. I'm looking to try to get the subs about 2400w rms total, however the exact number is unimportant as long as the volume is there. These Alum10 model subs have dual 6ohm voice coils, thus I would have to run all 6 at 2 or .5 ohms, or better yet, in two sets of three at 1ohm per set. From what I've seen, two amps which deliver 1200w at 1ohm will be cheaper than one amp that delivers 2400w at 2ohms.

Here's where I really need suggestions. What amps should I get? I was thinking the Hifonics BRZ series, but now there seems to be a new BRX series! To make matters even worse, both types seem to be scarce/expensive online. Is there a better option? I'm hoping not to have to spend a ton on amps.. I thought I remembered seeing the BRZ1200.1d for like $160 at one point but alas I can't find it anymore.

Sidenote: anyone know anything about these new BRX amps? I can't find any reviews or usefull reference to them anywhere. Are the BRZ's being discontinued??

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
first I would want to know if you think $160 for a 1200 watt amplifier is expensive?

hifonics amp are junk IMHO. they dont make rated power.

as for making more sound with more subs, yup. if you have (3) 10" and double that to (6) 10" subs, you will gain 3db. double the power and you gain another 3db.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say that $160 is a good deal, but I'm not looking to spend $600 just for a total of 2400w of power.

I seem to remember the BRZ series being CEA compliant and getting pretty good reviews... Do you own one? I've never heard one so I'm just going by reviews. What would you suggest for a good amp to do 1200w at 1ohm?

And yes that confirms what I've heard with regard to doubling subs and/or power.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
I would say that $160 is a good deal, but I'm not looking to spend $600 just for a total of 2400w of power.

I seem to remember the BRZ series being CEA compliant and getting pretty good reviews... Do you own one? I've never heard one so I'm just going by reviews. What would you suggest for a good amp to do 1200w at 1ohm?

And yes that confirms what I've heard with regard to doubling subs and/or power.
I would say $600 would be a good deal for that kind of wattage. :)

·
Banned
2,534 Posts
Hard to find a good "new" amp
For $600 that's does true 2400 watts rms.

Most guys think $200 buys a powerful amp .

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'd try to find a nice used amp and save a few bucks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
theres deals to be had with used equipment if you know what your looking for and stuff works.Prices of amps are cheap these days compared to when i was in it full tilt.(20yrs ago).I remember payin almost $500 for a punch 150 hd in like 92! that was a 150w amp.:eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wasn't really a fan of the old school alpine amps so don't know much about them.now a earthquake 2300 or older fosgate hifonics orion u cant go wrong.ppi was good too.so was autotek rodek alphasonic list goes on.u come across something post in here somebody may have experience with them.good luck to ya I do remember the old kenwood 943? Werestrong amps for non us made at the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts