DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 mazda 3 has a five speaker front stage(bose) that consists of three 3.5" speakers in the dash(corners and center) and 9" woofers in the doors that I am looking to upgrade. I was planning on installing the 6.5s in the doors and bottom mounting the tweeters in the dash corners but I am concerned how they will sound firing into the glass in the stock locations. I want to keep it looking stock although I have considered surface mounting them in the corners and aiming them or maybe even the sail panels if it will sound better. Looking for sets around 100 rms.

I have been eyeing the Morel Tempo Ultra 602 on Crutchfield but I have noticed a few sets of Focal sets have gone on sale lately.

Will there be a noticeable difference in sound quality if I spend upwards of $500 instead of $300? I intend on using passive crossovers. The doors will also be deadened.

1. Does it matter where I mount the crossover?
  2. Should I do anything to prevent moisture in the doors? My stock speakers had a little bit of rust on them.
  3. Any amp suggestions for 100 rms x 2 @ 4 ohms?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Get GS10’s and GS60’s, active no passive crossover, use DSP

But if you can’t afford DSP yet, grab the GS10C crossovers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never compromise on woofer (midbass?) size.
They're factory "woofers" and I doubt a legitamite woofer that size will fit the door. They have inverted magnets.

Get GS10’s and GS60’s, active no passive crossover, use DSP

But if you can’t afford DSP yet, grab the GS10C crossovers

That won't fit my budget.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi friend. Is your headunit sending a full range signal to the front stage? I assume the L,C,R are wideband speakers and they may be crossed too high for a mid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi friend. Is your headunit sending a full range signal to the front stage? I assume the L,C,R are wideband speakers and they may be crossed too high for a mid.
That is the factory bose speaker system and I have no idea what the crossover setting are. For the install I will be using a Pac oem which will provide a full clean signal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you read Andy’s “Basic 1 Seat Tuning Guide”? I wish I did before I went down the rabbit hole. Should help you understand the important design considerations and basics of speaker selection

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
They're factory "woofers" and I doubt a legitamite woofer that size will fit the door. They have inverted magnets.

That won't fit my budget.
??? GS10 is 229 GS60 is 279. That’s 508. Ur budget literally said 500 Plus lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you read Andy’s “Basic 1 Seat Tuning Guide”? I wish I did before I went down the rabbit hole. Should help you understand the important design considerations and basics of speaker selection
I haven't since I didn't intend to go active.

??? GS10 is 229 GS60 is 279. That’s 508. Ur budget literally said 500 Plus lol

My budget is for passive components.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The section on component selection is basic audio theory, it will help you understand the trade off in driver sizes, beaming, reflection etc to make an informed choice yourself.
But to answer your question, there are many good options from focal, scanspeak, Dayton, SB acoustics- even for 300 - and bouncing tweeters off the windscreen definitely can work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The section on component selection is basic audio theory, it will help you understand the trade off in driver sizes, beaming, reflection etc to make an informed choice yourself.
But to answer your question, there are many good options from focal, scanspeak, Dayton, SB acoustics- even for 300 - and bouncing tweeters off the windscreen definitely can work.
I didn't find any thread by that title.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm just saying, there are some nice component sets with large woofers that might work or be made to work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm just saying, there are some nice component sets with large woofers that might work or be made to work.
Like what. I have been using Crutchfield primarily because it let's me know what will or will not fit my car.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
I've got some nice Illusion Audio L6 components for sale within your budget. The mids have the magnet in front of the cone to keep the mounting depth low. Take a look here, if you're interested:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts