DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok let me say first that a friend of mine who is going to be helping with the install managed a rim & car audio place for 2 years. Now I own an 08 Scion Tc. I have through gifts and my own purchase gotten the following which Im hoping to install the moment I get a day off. Here is what I have so far, Polk db 6501 component front speakers, Stock back speakers (for now), Soundstream Rubicon 5.800 5 channel amp, 2 10" Alpine Type R subs (don't know model or year as they are a bit older) in a sealed box. Now my question is my friend suggests that instead of using the amp to power the front and back speakers and the subs on the 5 channel amp, he suggests I can do the front & back speakers and the tweeters on the amp then later buy a mono amp for the subs. Any advice would be helpful. Also Im hooking this setup to a Pioneer Avic D3

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am sure others with more experience will chime in here, but I would use the amp to power the front components (bridge the front and rear channels) and the sub. Power the rear speakers off the Avic D3 for a little rear fill.

i am in a similar situation (5 channel amp and components up front) and I will be doing just that for now until I can get more/better amps and change up the front to an active 3-way setup.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
We know what you have, but now it's, what are you after?
What is it that you want from your system? SPL, SQ, a bit of both? 25% of one and 75% of the other?
A one amp install?

The way I see it, you're perfectly fine using the 5.800. If you wish later on buy a 4 ch amp for the 4 corners and a sub amp if you find that the 5.800 isn't doing what you want, then sell the 5.800 to recoup some of the money spent on the other two amps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another question is where would I put the amp in the vehicle? The crossovers for the front components are hidden in my door panels. Also your suggesting I bridge the front and rear channels and put them on the components? or the sub? I don't want to buy a new amp anytime soon. The amp I got says @ 4 ohms it will bridge 70 x 4 & 200 x 1 or @ 2 ohms 115 x 4 & 340 x 1. Something near 25% spl and 75% SQ. I do listen to alot of rap and hip hop but Im in my rock kick atm (my music mood changes via the season summer = rap/hip hop winter = alt. rock & metal)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Also your suggesting I bridge the front and rear channels and put them on the components? or the sub? I don't want to buy a new amp anytime soon. The amp I got says @ 4 ohms it will bridge 70 x 4 & 200 x 1 or @ 2 ohms 115 x 4 & 340 x 1.
The specs I see online for it are
4 ohms: 70 watts x 4 chan. + 200 watts x 1 chan.
2 ohms: 115 watts x 4 chan. + 340 watts x 1 chan.
Bridged, 4 ohms: 230 watts x 2 chan.

I was saying to bridge the front/rear to give the 230 to each of the Polk Audio components and then you could have 340 to the subs if they are 4 ohm subs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts