DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am in the process of planning out my next system right now, and I have a few questions. Keep in mind, I want this to be optimized for punk/rock music, and of course hopefully this will give great performance in everything else if the need arises.

1. When you recommend the Seas G or C18 drivers, is this for use in a 2 way setup? I'm assuming the Peerless XLS would be the midbass of choice in a 3 way setup...

2. If you're recommended the 7s above as an alternative if you can't fit the Peerless 8, what midrange do you suggest to compliment the Seas/LPG combo?

3. Would it be practical to use the Seas 7" drivers in kickpanels with the tweets in a two-way setup? Is this possible to do in a standard transmission car (kicks won't get in the way of clutch)?

4. Do the crossovers you'd recommend for a 2 way kickpanel setup of the Seas/LPG depend on the vehicle (assuming in kickpanels)? If not, what would be a good place to start?

5. What do you do as a highpass for the mids and a low pass for the sub (assuming both Seas and/or Peerless XLS 8)?

Any other recommendations besides sound deadening and going active? I'm planning on doing everything active and sound deadening the heck out of my next vehicle, but I'm a little cloudy on the front stage situation I want to try.

·
Registered
103 Posts
if you have a clutch i wouldn't do kicks. They WILL get in the way unless you do a lot of work in getting the mids way back in the quarter panels.

A 2-way with the Seas G18 and a lpg 25fa tweet would be great for punk/rock. It would also be great for anything else you throw at it. Just make sure you have a haed unit with a decent onboard eq and crossover network, and then all you would need is an amp. If you want a sub you'll have to get another amp unless you get a 5 or 6 channel to power everything.

Install is key though. As long as the woofers are sealed up properly you will be happy with that setup for sure.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, maybe I didn't come off as knowing as "much" as I do about car audio. I understand the install is key for the whole setup, which is why I'm asking these detailed questions.

I was planning on running something like Zed Amps for the tweet and mids, and then choosing a sub amp based on power. Right now, I own an Ascendant Audio Atlas 12 which I think is a little more of a "bottom-heavy" sub than maybe I'm looking for. I have heard that 70-100 hz is the biggest concern for rock/punk, and therefore I want that to be pronounced, detailed, and very snappy/punchy all in the front stage. I can just cross a sub over lower than that with a 12 db/octave slope.

I have seen that np doesn't cross his sub over at all. How does that work for imaging?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Sub region should not carry into the 70-100hz region, that is strickly midbass territory.

My CA18's sound very good in that region. I'm actually letting them run right now with HPF on the low end, And right now it sounds much better than when i had a 6 through 24db filter on it, it just has that low end that i was missing from up front, and thats using a 63hz xover point with the above slopes. The CA18 is a good driver, i love mine, can't wait to try out the G18 though, just wonder if it would be any better for the money to switch them out.

As far as LPing a sub it all depends on the sub, my Tempest with no slope filters on pulls staging horribly back, as it can go too high without any filters and such, And if i remember right, he has the added benefiet of seats and a rear deck b/w his sub and ears, i have a hatch, so no LPF all depends on the sub in use and such variables.

·
Registered
103 Posts
demon2091tb said:
The CA18 is a good driver, i love mine, can't wait to try out the G18 though, just wonder if it would be any better for the money to switch them out.
Probably not worth it. Save up for an Excel and it will be worth it though.

The Seas CA18's and G18's are awsome in the 70-100hz region.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Exactly what i was thinking...... But then again if i'm swithcing out midbass drivers, i could go ahead and pick up an XLS 8, another amp Channel, and a 3" Trius and call it a day, but that would be another couple hundred, so excel will be next option.

Back to the topic at hand.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
demon2091tb said:
Sub region should not carry into the 70-100hz region, that is strickly midbass territory.
Hence me saying LPF my sub below that region! :) So how would the 7" seas in the door with tweet in stock location compare to those same speakers in a kickpanel?

Also, assuming I put the Peer 8 in the door, which mid should I use in a kick to compliment the tweet? Maybe a 4" or 5.25"?

·
Registered
242 Posts
ZoNtO said:
Also, assuming I put the Peer 8 in the door, which mid should I use in a kick to compliment the tweet? Maybe a 4" or 5.25"?
Make sure the 8's will fit before buying them. ;) Hmm, since you're mainly a rock / punk listener i would highly recommend hte Peerless Exclusives mids. They have hte detail of the seas but a bit more in forward sounding / agressive. Should be a winneer for rock / punk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts