DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed several times but someone talk me into something better (if you can) then the Stereo Integrity BM MKV.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I know this has been discussed several times but someone talk me into something better (if you can) then the Stereo Integrity BM MKV.
I believe there are only a few options for quality and performance; Alpine, JL Audio, Sundown and Stereo Integrity. What's the problem with Stereo Integrity?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No problem. Just about to pull the trigger. Want to make sure I’m getting the best possible option. Looking for an SQ setup to go with my audio frog GB 3 way active setup.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
No problem. Just about to pull the trigger. Want to make sure I’m getting the best possible option. Looking for an SQ setup to go with my audio frog GB 3 way active setup.
From what I hear, you wouldn't be disappointed with the Stereo Integrity BM MKV, or a JL for that matter. Stereo Integrity will be a more personal customer service experience, and if you ever need repairs those are done in-house in North Carolina.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
JL audio 13TW5v2 would be on my list.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If youve got the cash I do not think the JL ones can be beaten... They are pretty insane for how shallow they are in a proper enclosure

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have the money, just not sure they are better. They take a bigger enclosure and have 3mm less xmax excursion one way. Has anyone done a head to head?

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I do have the money, just not sure they are better. They take a bigger enclosure and have 3mm less xmax excursion one way. Has anyone done a head to head?
You will need 2 of the SI, vs only 1 of the JL. Its better. SI is nice, but a single one will leave you wanting more bass. How much power do you have?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I plan on 2 SI’s or 2 JLs. I haven’t settled on an amp just yet but will have 500-750 for each sub

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
OK, if you are already thinking 2 SI, then do it. I was thinking 1. And yes 1200 watts would be good for a pair.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
You will need 2 of the SI, vs only 1 of the JL. Its better. SI is nice, but a single one will leave you wanting more bass. How much power do you have?
The JL 13tw5-v2-2 has a displacement capability of 0.6952 liters compared to the SI BM-MKV's 0.782 liters. So you would need 1 1/8 JL's to match the SI, and 1 SI is more than $200 cheaper.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Honestly, I thought you were right about this until I looked at the specs, I was surprised.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The JL 12tw3-d4 has more displacement than both the 13tw5 and the SI BM-MKV with 0.819 liters. Damn! I suspect the Le (inductance) is higher though.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
The JL 12tw3-d4 has more displacement than both the 13tw5 and the SI BM-MKV with 0.819 liters. Damn! I suspect the Le (inductance) is higher though.
well thats dumb LOL. I recommended the 13 because i assumed it had more displacement than the 12.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Agreed.

I had two BMs and wanted more...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Stereo Integrity is known to publish BS xmax measurements. My TM65's said 9mm yet they klippel at like 4-5mm. JL owns a klippel machine and uses FEA along with the klippel to design and build their designs in house. Their xmax measurements are true linear xmax numbers... Stereo Integrity has had quality control issues in the past as well. Not to say the Stereo Integrity are bad as I have personally never used one. but judging from the Stereo Integrity products I have used, and knowing their design process vs that of JL Audio, I would highly, highly doubt that the stereo integrity is a better design than the high end JL's and I know for a fact the JL are of better build quality.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
well thats dumb LOL. I recommended the 13 because i assumed it had more displacement than the 12.
Apparently not. Considering the price difference between the two, they should discontinue the 13. But someone will always buy the more expensive 13 as a status symbol.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Stereo Integrity is known to publish BS xmax measurements. My TM65's said 9mm yet they klippel at like 4-5mm. JL owns a klippel machine and uses FEA along with the klippel to design and build their designs in house. Their xmax measurements are true linear xmax numbers... Stereo Integrity has had quality control issues in the past as well. Not to say the Stereo Integrity are bad as I have personally never used one. but judging from the Stereo Integrity products I have used, and knowing their design process vs that of JL Audio, I would highly, highly doubt that the stereo integrity is a better design than the high end JL's and I know for a fact the JL are of better build quality.
JL's published Xmax figures are "(coil length - gap height)/2" or "(gap height - coil length)/2", not Klippel measurements. JL's reputation and quality are top notch, and their prices are even higher, bang for buck ratio - not so good. They do win on all counts in this particular application though.
And, yes, Stereo Integrity screwed up on the TM65's, hence the redesign. I haven't heard of any problems with the BM MKV, SQL, HST, or HS models.

·
Registered
287 Posts
JL's published Xmax figures are "(coil length - gap height)/2" or "(gap height - coil length)/2", not Klippel measurements. JL's reputation and quality are top notch, and their prices are even higher, bang for buck ratio - not so good. They do win on all counts in this particular application though.
And, yes, Stereo Integrity screwed up on the TM65's, hence the redesign. I haven't heard of any problems with the BM MKV, SQL, HST, or HS models.
Interesting that's good to know... Sometimes you get lucky and the speaker klippels at slightly higher xmax than the voice coil overhang... not usually though... usually its less. The thing that worries me is I see a post on facebook from Stereo Integrity saying the new TM65iv prototype is supposed to have 11-12mm of xmax @ 70%bl.... Well what about the suspension and inductance xmax measurements? This is not a subwoofer I want to know what the true klippel xmax is under 10% distoriton... not just the BL measurment... Anyways I have serious reservations that the new tm65iv has as much xmax as the scan illuminator...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts