DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Interesting that's good to know... Sometimes you get lucky and the speaker klippels at slightly higher xmax than the voice coil overhang... not usually though... usually its less. The thing that worries me is I see a post on facebook from Stereo Integrity saying the new TM65iv prototype is supposed to have 11-12mm of xmax @ 70%bl.... Well what about the suspension and inductance xmax measurements? This is not a subwoofer I want to know what the true klippel xmax is under 10% distoriton... not just the BL measurment... Anyways I have serious reservations that the new tm65iv has as much xmax as the scan illuminator...
As Erin Hardison has shown in some of his speaker reviews, the 70% Bl Xmax can be crap, but isn't necessarily crap. The Scanspeak Illuminators only have 6 mm one-way Xmax by the (gap height - coil length)/2 method, their stated 9 mm Xmax is likely a 70% Bl measurement.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Maybe we should suggest to Nick at SI that he send some speakers to Erin to test on the Klippel.

I support that for sure... I actually have much better hopes for this new version of TM65 as it features an aluminum cone... I have never been a fan of carbon on any speakers like the MKiii... especially ones that repoduce lower frequencies as it has bad damping in my experience and almost has a vibrating sound to it... Paper, Aluminum, and Poly I have had much better experience with. My TM65 MKiii and My dayton Esoterics, as well as others ive owned with glass fiber or carbon fiber cones have had this issue.... Except ones that have like foam sandwiched inbetween the carbon like the morels or paper in combination with the glass or carbon fiber... those ive heard and did not have the weird sound like i mentioned... it seems that companies like to use carbon for looks but not for performance.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I support that for sure... I actually have much better hopes for this new version of TM65 as it features an aluminum cone... I have never been a fan of carbon on any speakers like the MKiii... especially ones that repoduce lower frequencies as it has bad damping in my experience and almost has a vibrating sound to it... Paper, Aluminum, and Poly I have had much better experience with. My TM65 MKiii and My dayton Esoterics, as well as others ive owned with glass fiber or carbon fiber cones have had this issue.... Except ones that have like foam sandwiched inbetween the carbon like the morels or paper in combination with the glass or carbon fiber... those ive heard and did not have the weird sound like i mentioned... it seems that companies like to use carbon for looks but not for performance.
They ARE having the drivers Klippel tested, the preliminary estimates of Xmax are from the FEA design/testing. Just watched a couple videos on their Facebook page.

·
Listener of Music
3,594 Posts
So are you guys telling the op to get a couple tm65 mkiv's as subs? I mean they do okay down to 50 no problem. They have less than 3" mounting depth compared to the BM's 3.4". Maybe 4 TM65's?

Really though. We have enough threads about S.I. and TM65 MKs, ii, and iii.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
So are you guys telling the op to get a couple tm65 mkiv's as subs? I mean they do okay down to 50 no problem. They have less than 3" mounting depth compared to the BM's 3.4". Maybe 4 TM65's?

Really though. We have enough threads about S.I. and TM65 MKs, ii, and iii.
You know how conversations develop? Things other than the original subject get discussed, it's just the nature of discussion. If that were not the case each thread would consist of one question and one answer.

·
Listener of Music
3,594 Posts
Grown men always take things to far when comparing tools.

Two SI's would give most people enough bass while saving some coin.

If you're a bass heavy guy go with the JL's.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I like my Alpine Swr t12 so how does this compare displacement wise etc?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have the JL 12TW1-4 in a slightly too large sealed box. Probably .80 instead of .65 recommended. I’ve got 300 watts going to it. I’m not thrilled with the bass but this is my first shallow mount so not sure what to expect or if it’s not the fault of the wrong box size.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
In terms of pure sq there’s only one winner for me... sb acoustics SB Acoustics SW26DBAC in dual 3 ohm 10" Shallow Mount Subwoofer, used one myself and platinum in car in the U.K. just put two under the seats of a van, he is no slouch when it comes to sq 👍🏼

21 - 34 of 34 Posts