DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find some opinions with hands on experience with subs. Right now I'm leaning towards the RE SL12 or the Memphis S Class 12. Any information would be appriciated. Thanks

·
Registered
823 Posts
I've got one of the exile xtec 10" subs in my truck with only 100 watts of power and it's quite impressive. Granted I'm not into making a bunch of racket anymore but it does what I need it to do.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think the stereo integritys are ever coming out. I've heard mixed reviews on the JLs plus I don't the the 3ohm sub. Has anyone tried the RE or the Memphis S Class?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I listened to a JL this weekend. I was impressed it did 99% of what a W6 will do.IMO

They are pricey though and the air space requirements are about the same as a regular sub.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I don't think the stereo integritys are ever coming out. I've heard mixed reviews on the JLs plus I don't the the 3ohm sub. Has anyone tried the RE or the Memphis S Class?
It is definitely coming out, it may still be a little while, but it will be worth the wait.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I guess no ones tried the RE or the S Class. I just can't see spending $400-$500 on 1 sub, then it's weird setting up being a 3ohm sub. I'd like to see the BM but it's been supposed to come out for like a year.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have two of the 13TW5's. AWESOME sub. Most of the others ones I listened to where Glorified mid bass drivers. I know the JL is expensive. I see them on the street going for ~400.00... ( Saw them three weeks ago going for 350 from an authorized dealer in his store...)

Hands down in all of my playing, you will love the JL Thin. And anybody who has gotten in my car is always surprised when they see that the subs are thin with that amount of output and definition.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Diamond Audio also has a shallow mount hex sub that may be worth looking into. They are going pretty reasonable on eBay.

·
Registered
122 Posts
What are you powering them with?
I am "slightly" over driving them. Currently I am using a Phoenix Gold MS 2125 bridged to each sub. Before that, there was a MS 2250 bridged to each one. The MS 2250 makes ~1400 watts @ 1.5 Ohms. We are down to a more reasonable 700-800 watts per channel...

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
The BM's are coming out. :) I know it's taken forever, but they are going to actually come out. As soon as data comes in from the new neo prototype we're giving the order to have our manufacturing facilities start production. If I wasn't such an anal retentive bastard there would have been a version of the BM out a year ago. ;) But it would have had performance issues, and I'm not OK with that.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I have heard the JL and Memphis S class side by side. The Memphis sounded night and day better than the JL IMO. This is also at a JL shop and the owner said he cant justify the price of the JL slims once you hear the S class. He also said to throw out the factory specs to get them to good sound. If you run the factoy specs you end up with a 12" or 13" mid bass with very little low end. I think the S class sub was in a 1.5 cube enclosure, althought it may have only been 4 or 5 inches thick. That is much bigger than the factory spec.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I listened to a JL this weekend. I was impressed it did 99% of what a W6 will do.IMO

They are pricey though and the air space requirements are about the same as a regular sub.
Glad you liked it, but the 13TW5 only requires about 0.8 cu.ft. which is a heck of a lot less than most 12-inch subs require for good, smooth performance.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts