DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new the the site here and wanted to start off with a simple question for you guys , what's the best 12 sub I can purchase for under 200 bucks ? I have an 84 turbo Buick t type and I want to put 1 12" subwoofer in the rear area of my trunk up against the back seat. I've seen plenty of guys with g body cars with their subs there. I had two kicker comp 15's back there last summer but It took up too much space and I just didn't really care for all of that bass out of it, it's just my weekend cruiser so I just want something a little more mellow but still capable of producing some nice low bass. Futhermore what type of box and amp will help me achieve my goal ? I listen to mostly hip hop, r&b, and soul music.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Clearance Corner

the bostwick ones on the bottom have been mentioned on this site as being decent on a thread somewhere here.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I am happy with Infinity Kappa 120.9w in 1cu ft cube on just 250watts of power. There are many others in this price range. The new Alpine Type-R is also looking good in slightly larger box, maybe 1.3-1.5 cu ft. SA-12 is considered pretty good for the money but needs a little more power than the other two. There are tests on this web site showing SA-12 relatively clean and distortion free. It's a better option for ported box application but should work fine in 1cu ft or smaller sealed box as well . Dayton Reference HO12 has similar to SA-12 box and power requirements. Try to narrow the selection down by the box type and power that you have.

·
Registered
834 Posts
What's the budget for everything?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Budget wise I'm not real sure. Was going to try and build my own box, I'm pretty handy ( mechanic by trade ) but never tried box building. I have a amp already that pushes my 15's but may put that setup in my truck so if I do I'm thinking maybe 300 for an amp. With that said I'm guessing 500 and under for a sub and amp to push it. Also just looked at the powerbass 3xl any thoughts on those

·
Registered
238 Posts
+1 for the JL W3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a JL 10w3v3, worked quite nicely, but honestly there was not a whole lot of difference between it and a relatively cheap kenwood I had (not the cheapest ones). It did hit the lows a bit better, and was a bit cleaner. So, it is a pretty darn good sub (i like the kenwood alot too haha) but I'm not sure how great of a value it is. Just my 2 cents.

And maybe look at ID, they might have something for you, used IDQ maybe?

·
Registered
158 Posts
The Dayton 12" DVC DVC310-88 is a fantastic sub for $150. It is basically an updated Adire Shiva. It is very capable of getting loud, but is still very musical. It also does not need as big of a enclosure as the original Shiva.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Definitely Dayton Audio...

A Titanic Mark III might fit the bill quite nicely.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Sonicelectronix has Polk Audio SR124 subwoofer on sale for $150. The SR line is considered Polks top of the line products. When I was shopping for a new sub recently, there were offered for something like $250, and I thought it was an average kind of deal. But for $150, this could be a pretty good deal? Has anyone heard these?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a Polk MM 1540 DVC in my car now. I've had many subs in my time, from RF HE2's to Mmats Procast, to Eclipse and more. I have to say, I'm impressed with Polk Audio. The 1540 does very well with death metal (usually hard for larger subs to do) but gets low as well, plus it doesn't take much to power (425 RMS). I paid $120 for it, the SR is a great deal at $150, go for it man.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Things to focus on:

1. Install
2. Install
3. Tune
4. Setup

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I think every sub ever made has been suggested in this thread....

In the old Regals, it's hard to make a sub sound bad. It sounds like you would need output over SQ. I like the JL W3 but in this case I think you can get more output for less money and you probably won't notice the SQ difference on the cheaper sub.

Infinite baffle is easy in these cars. You can do a single 15 or a pair of 15s and take up very little trunk space. The only downside is due to the shelf near the seats you will have to angle a 15 to fit. Maybe a trio of 12s IB? Power requirements will be cut by half or less and they will go very deep.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts