DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo!
This build is in an 01 accord..
So my front stage is a comp set or focal 165fx powered by an alpine MRV-f300.
I currently have (2) JL 10W1v2 in a dual sealed box powered by a JL XD600/1v2
Also I'm not running any rear fill.

My budget is around 400 although I would like it around 200, or 300.

I'm wanting the best SQ and best response I can get.

What sub(s) will give me the best sounding system with the speakers iv got up front?
Should I go 12in or stay with 10? Or should I go 15?
Sealed or ported?
Should I get dual subs or get just one baller sub?
Is it possible to have a 10 and a 12?

I have been looking at every sub on the map and would love to hear some advise/opinions.

SUBS THAT CATCH MY EYE
pioneer champion series only because they are cheap and are very efficient
JL 12 W3v3
Sundown SA 12

I'm pretty much gonna buy based on what I hear!

also I'm willing to trade what I have if anyone is interested in that

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
what don't you like about your current jl subs? they are fine drivers, just a bit under powered. the sundown offerings are very good, a single sa 12 in a ported box would do very well indeed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idk it's just so damn loud, beyond the point of drowning out my front stage. Don't get me wrong they are great subs and are very tigh and punchy. I just much prefer the lower boom that can still give me some tightness with punch.
You think they are underpowered 300 watts each? According to JL that is the "danger zone" although I know how company's underspec. Should I push them more?
How would you compare 10in vs 12in?
Do 10's just simply not go as low as 12's do?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
tens will play just as low as twelves but not with as much authority, just comes down to moving more air with a twelve.

if they are just too loud you can tune them down? theres all kinds of things you can do with crossover and amp gain, and make sure you aren't using any bass boost on the amp itself.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
have you considered just lowering it with the JL remote cable? Its always better to have too much bass and lower it than push your subs and amp too hard.

Otherwise, maybe all you need is a single 10"

If youre dead set on changing subs, the sundown SA is ported only and the sd is for sealed. Not a huge fan of the w3 or pioneer.

Maybe the dvc 4 ohm 10" SA in this enclosure

LAB SlapBox™ 1.30 ft^3 Ported MDF Enclosure - Sundown Audio SA-10 Sub

I will cosign this sub in .8 sealed

Oz Audio Matrix Elite 10 4 Subwoofers 10" Dual 4 Ohms | eBay

lots of output and efficient.

If all you want is SQ I can sell you a new Alumapro MX 10". Will have less output but sounds amazing in .75 sealed.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Look at these IA flatlyne , Audiomobile and there is a css 15" in the classifieds.I prefer 12's or bigger for that solid bottom end .

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have you considered just lowering it with the JL remote cable? Its always better to have too much bass and lower it than push your subs and amp too hard.

Otherwise, maybe all you need is a single 10"

If youre dead set on changing subs, the sundown SA is ported only and the sd is for sealed. Not a huge fan of the w3 or pioneer.

Maybe the dvc 4 ohm 10" SA in this enclosure

LAB SlapBox™ 1.30 ft^3 Ported MDF Enclosure - Sundown Audio SA-10 Sub

I will cosign this sub in .8 sealed

Oz Audio Matrix Elite 10 4 Subwoofers 10" Dual 4 Ohms | eBay

lots of output and efficient.

If all you want is SQ I can sell you a new Alumapro MX 10". Will have less output but sounds amazing in .75 sealed.

I have a remote. When I say loud I mean the pressure is so high at even normal volumes. Could this be because I have 2? I want that low deep bass without having to make my ears bleed.
What do you mean by cosign?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Greetings!

May I recommend the new Flax subs to timbre match with your Flax speakers.

People think that you don't need to timbre match subs with a front stage/stereo speakers. I disagree. I have personally demonstrated on our soundboards at numerous dealers across the country how important a factor that is.

I'm not going to go into so,e long, drawn out explanation on why I subscribe to this belief, I'm just going to say it makes a difference

If your budget is 400.00 then let me recommend the Focal P 30F. 400 watt nominal 800 watt peak power handling. Works in .65 to 1 cu ft sealed and can be vented in a 1.3 cu ft box tuned to 33 hz. Xmax is 14 mm linear and 39mm non linear. I have demonstrated these subs with 400 watts continuous power playing a track that is a recording of the launch of the space shuttle Endeavour. Starts at 5 hz and goes up in frequency from there. At full throw(39mm) there is 0 mechanical noise nor any chuffing. I've done that demo at least 300 times at trade shows across the USA and Canada this year with the same subs. They sound like they did he first time I did this demo. Amazing subs! Musicality is spot on. Stand up Bass sounds like a stand up bass and a Bosendorfer Piano is recreated with remarkable clarity for a fairly inexpensive subwoofer.

All of our Focal dealers who have these subs have been quite happy with them.

Hope this helps!

Nick Wingate Jr
National Training Coordinator
Orca Design and MFG. Focal America

·
Registered
17,884 Posts
Idk it's just so damn loud, beyond the point of drowning out my front stage. Don't get me wrong they are great subs and are very tigh and punchy. I just much prefer the lower boom that can still give me some tightness with punch.
You think they are underpowered 300 watts each? According to JL that is the "danger zone" although I know how company's underspec. Should I push them more?
How would you compare 10in vs 12in?
Do 10's just simply not go as low as 12's do?
the power is fine for those subs, but if theyre to loud have you ever, ya know, just tried turning their volume down a bit?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad you have an accord, I have one too.

I'm getting drunk! My screen isn't blurry yet but I want it to be!
Jrock you the man!!!
Greetings!

May I recommend the new Flax subs to timbre match with your Flax speakers.

People think that you don't need to timbre match subs with a front stage/stereo speakers. I disagree. I have personally demonstrated on our soundboards at numerous dealers across the country how important a factor that is.

I'm not going to go into so,e long, drawn out explanation on why I subscribe to this belief, I'm just going to say it makes a difference

If your budget is 400.00 then let me recommend the Focal P 30F. 400 watt nominal 800 watt peak power handling. Works in .65 to 1 cu ft sealed and can be vented in a 1.3 cu ft box tuned to 33 hz. Xmax is 14 mm linear and 39mm non linear. I have demonstrated these subs with 400 watts continuous power playing a track that is a recording of the launch of the space shuttle Endeavour. Starts at 5 hz and goes up in frequency from there. At full throw(39mm) there is 0 mechanical noise nor any chuffing. I've done that demo at least 300 times at trade shows across the USA and Canada this year with the same subs. They sound like they did he first time I did this demo. Amazing subs! Musicality is spot on. Stand up Bass sounds like a stand up bass and a Bosendorfer Piano is recreated with remarkable clarity for a fairly inexpensive subwoofer.

All of our Focal dealers who have these subs have been quite happy with them.

Hope this helps!

Nick Wingate Jr
National Training Coordinator
Orca Design and MFG. Focal America
To be honest I have yet to really give these consideration for no reason other than they are so new, but I guess the flax speakers are as well so...
This sub honestly sounds perfect for me and what I'm doing. I would love to match the set cause I know how amazing my comps are. Are there any deals going on or coming up? Being a focal rep how would you honestly rate these subs vs the likes of JL or Alpine or Pioneer?
Thanks for this man I will most likely be getting myself a flax sub!!!
If you don't mind could you draw your explanation out for me? I like the technical talk and would like to hear your belief.
Appreciate it!!!

the power is fine for those subs, but if theyre to loud have you ever, ya know, just tried turning their volume down a bit?
Genius this guy ^^^

1 - 13 of 13 Posts