DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've an old r170 slk and a vintage MS2250 from phoenix gold. I want to use it stereo to power subwoofers and 2 way system in front. I've VERY small room behind my seats (about 11cm deep 50 large and 60tall for about 33 liters total). I wanted a very loud and sq sub. In the past I had 2 strokers 18d2 and hitted over 150db easily, now I can't get so much however I hope to get a high phisical impact since there's no so much room in car and I've subs just in my back. I looked at some things:
4x polk mm1040 sealed (but they're little bit too deep for me) -450$ shipped
2x alpine swr t12 (very expensive) about 630$ shipped
2xjl w5 shallow TOO EXPENSIVE about 800$ shipped
4x rockford p3 shallow 12 sealed about 500$ shipped
4x mb quart shallo 12 sealed about 400$ shipped

what do you suggest me? THANKS in advance :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Kicker has some decent shallow woofers i had 2 of them at 1000 rms and they slam...although i had them in a prefab regular box not in their specified speaker box size.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remeasured and tried to put into my car a custom made box.. unluckily to seat normally inside car I can get 9.5-10cm TOTAL deep box for about 22liters total..
is it in your opinion better 2x12" kicker/ 2xp3s 12 or 4x MB QUART RLP304? Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I mean for every seat I can buil a box 10cm*45cm*60cm.. so I can install 2x 12" from rockford or 4x 12" from MB Quart in reccomended sealed volume.. I think 4 12" will hit harderthan 2 12" if they're similar however since I can't find ANY revew of normal people wich installed them I suppose they can be not so good.. the thing is even if they're sq with less spl if I use 4x speakers instead of 2x it should be louder too right?

·
Registered
56 Posts
i would go with the kickers hands down since you excluded the jl and the alpine...my opinion is keep it simple....build the best enclosure you can for the kickers and keep it at two....i think on of their models even comes in a slim ported box...built by kicker...two of those might be enough. compared to more than two in their not so optimum box more is not always better...thats just my opinion

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Those kicker cvts have no low end at all and i mean at all! Plus their slow as hell muddy and not punchy at all. Rockford shallow on the other hand don't get to low either but sound pretty good very punchy and can keep up with double bass lines. The alpines though have rave reviews all the way around and if you let alpine tell its the best sq sub they make.

·
Registered
56 Posts
well they are not ment for sq....but they do get loud and low in bigger enclosures as do all subwoofers in bigger enclosures...the smaller the box the less low end you get so maybe thats why.....iv never been a fan of modern rockford products....to my knowledge they are not known for sq so i can only give my opinion on what i have listened to. rockfords are usually feather weight speakers so maybe thats why they are "faster" due to less mass movement and lighter cone

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Well,Whats the point of a shallow woofer if it can't work in in a small box? The goal is to save space or be used in a small space, Correct? If not get a w7 and call it a night.
You are right about about the mm though lighter cone faster movement or a bigger moter to compensate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm goin crazy to set up this sub.. the thing is the car is very beautiful inside and a shallow mount that is nor REALLY shallow (below 3inches) will mar interior estethic..
since I move everything with an old MS2250 sub has to move with less than 1MW and to sound decently..
-My choice was for a couple of MM1240 polk but it is too deep... 13cm.
-Alpine should be ok but is EXPENSIVE,
-2xJL shallow 13 will be perfect but even more expensive,
-2x Rockford shallow p3s should be perfect too but in sealed don't go below 49hz.. (too high)
-2x shallow 12 Kickers are too deep for shallow mounting and too large for kickpanel

There's a second option (kick panel). it can keep:

-2x sundowns 8" but I don't know if they will sound any good compare to a couple of shallows and if the physical impact will be stronger
-other
but I don't know if it is even less stealthy than a shallow behind front seats

What you suggest?

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow.. I was a C.Vega fan so I was curious about that 12" shallow they offer.. however I bought a couple of rockford 12 p3s shallow 400w rms.. I will build 2 stealth ported boxes with a 4" Aeroport for each one. Dimensions will be 72cm tall x 12cm deep x 47cm wide. Total net liters are about 33.. I hope a couple of those in a small 2 places slk will give nice results in sq and spl too.. wattage are not so high since I use an old MS2250 from PG.. iit will be about 220 true rms watt for each one. For the front I will us opti6c 2 way set. So MS2250 will be loaded 2ohm stereo to drive 1 p3s with pasive crossover (cutting to 110hz) and opti6c.. What do you think about this setup?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nobody had experience with those rockford shallows p3s12d2? I don't know if to set them 1cuf ported or 1cuf sealed.. what will be the best?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts