DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, by my own admission, I can't tune for S*&#. I live in OKC, but am willing to travel to Tulsa or Dallas or?? to give an excellent tuner some business. I know Mike at Boomers in Tulsa and he's had a crack at it, but I'd like to get some more fine tuning. Who's the best (and readily available for tuning)?
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should describe my goal. I recently bought a pair of Shure headphones and was astonished with the effortless definition, volume and presence of the bass guitar in most music. I mean Van Halen, Van Halen WOW! I knew Michael Anthony had to be good, but I had never heard it so clear. So that's my primary goal. Bring the bass guitar out without sounding boomy, muddy, thick etc. Through the Shures, I always here the bass guitar at the same relative volume as the rest of the instruments including Eddie Van Halens guitar solos and it's crystal clear and effortless...
That's all I want.:D

·
Registered
84 Posts
I should describe my goal. I recently bought a pair of Shure headphones and was astonished with the effortless definition, volume and presence of the bass guitar in most music. I mean Van Halen, Van Halen WOW! I knew Michael Anthony had to be good, but I had never heard it so clear. So that's my primary goal. Bring the bass guitar out without sounding boomy, muddy, thick etc. Through the Shures, I always here the bass guitar at the same relative volume as the rest of the instruments including Eddie Van Halens guitar solos and it's crystal clear and effortless...
That's all I want.:D

Mark Eldridge without a doubt if you want the best tune...granted it will cost you.

Also, look at Chris Pate, and Gary Biggs...all three are in Tulsa Town

Have Chris Kill in Norman look at it here in OKC...he is very good and a TOP 100 installer.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
x2 on Mark.
You can find him here (he goes by his real name) or I can pm you his phone number if you want it.

Jorge.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew some of these big names resided in the Tulsa area, but I didn't know they offered their tuning services. Do you know what shop Chris Kill works for in Norman? Any idea what Biggs or Eldridge might charge per hour? You can PM me if you know.
Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I knew some of these big names resided in the Tulsa area, but I didn't know they offered their tuning services. Do you know what shop Chris Kill works for in Norman? Any idea what Biggs or Eldridge might charge per hour? You can PM me if you know.
Thanks!
Chris Kill owns and installs at Advantage Audio in Norman off of Lindsey. Also you can have Jason Owens tune it too..but definately Chris.

Not sure about tuning prices on biggs or eldridge. All three are friends of mine, I can get you some prices if you want.

--Joe

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
x2 on Mark.
You can find him here (he goes by his real name) or I can pm you his phone number if you want it.

Jorge.
I'd take his email if you had it. I'm sure he's a busy guy and wouldn't necessarily want to cold call him.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris Kill owns and installs at Advantage Audio in Norman off of Lindsey. Also you can have Jason Owens tune it too..but definately Chris.

Not sure about tuning prices on biggs or eldridge. All three are friends of mine, I can get you some prices if you want.

--Joe
Sure if you can get prices, that would be great. I hate to bother them if I can't afford it! I'm not cheap, but times are tough lately :rolleyes:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sure if you can get prices, that would be great. I hate to bother them if I can't afford it! I'm not cheap, but times are tough lately :rolleyes:

For all of us brother, for all of us.

I will call them tomorrow. I will let you know.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Before you go blowing lots of money, just come to Brownieque and get it for free. The collective tuning experience there is probably 200 years or more. I'll sit in your car for 30 minutes and give you my opinions for free.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Before you go blowing lots of money, just come to Brownieque and get it for free. The collective tuning experience there is probably 200 years or more. I'll sit in your car for 30 minutes and give you my opinions for free.
X2.... what Mooble said... we are pretty lucky/blessed in the texas/OK area... several of the top 10 tuners/installers are here... & I believe texas has one of the highest concentration of DIYMA active members...

Besides who can refuse stellar brownies (no! not the 420 kind)

Rob

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

--Joe
IIRC, your Taurus always scored pretty darn good and i tuned it by myself.

BMW, if you want some help PM and see what we can work out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My taurus was freakin awesome...imaged way better than the Mark ever thought...but the mark tonally was better.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Too bad we tore the Mark down so fast and never REALLY got to tune it properly. You got to remember it took me MONTHS to get the Taurus sounding as good as it did.

·
Registered
991 Posts
My taurus was freakin awesome...imaged way better than the Mark ever thought...but the mark tonally was better.
Hi hand how ya doing... yeah thanks for feeding me for all these years. CHOMP! hmmmm tasty...

dude that was cold & rough...

Rob

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi hand how ya doing... yeah thanks for feeding me for all these years. CHOMP! hmmmm tasty...

dude that was cold & rough...

Rob
Rob,

He knows that. We discussed it when we were tuning it. But my Taurus was much better overall with the imaging, whereas my Mark was stellar with install and tonality.

Needless to say, the Taurus ( circa 94-96 ) was ahead of it's time in sound, behind the times in install due to some small imperfections that I always seemed to get and my Mark was ahead of the times in install and sound, but behind the times in staging and imaging.

It is a vicious cycle.

--Joe

·
Registered
84 Posts
don't forget Mr.Robert Ables and Nick Wingate Jr. whom also have some of the BEST ears in the Bizz
Mr. Nick Wingate Jr is in Houston and I am not sure where Robert Ables is located.

Not sure if Nick is within the OP's area of interest.

--Joe

but for sure he is amazing with his ears...I have tuned some cars with him at Finals last year in Dallas.

But I am not one to tune, although I could listen to it and then give some pointers if needed.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Rob,

He knows that. We discussed it when we were tuning it. But my Taurus was much better overall with the imaging, whereas my Mark was stellar with install and tonality.

Needless to say, the Taurus ( circa 94-96 ) was ahead of it's time in sound, behind the times in install due to some small imperfections that I always seemed to get and my Mark was ahead of the times in install and sound, but behind the times in staging and imaging.

It is a vicious cycle.

--Joe
Also, IIRC, I told you that the Mark was going to be challenging at the very least. With how far that dash hung over your feet and the crappy door locations and very limited tuning, it was okay. But overall IMO, those cars suck for a SQ car.

You should have kept your horns:(.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Also, IIRC, I told you that the Mark was going to be challenging at the very least. With how far that dash hung over your feet and the crappy door locations and very limited tuning, it was okay. But overall IMO, those cars suck for a SQ car.

You should have kept your horns:(.
I think so too Jason. Overall, it was a bad choice for a SQ car. But I did win every show i went to.

I am still looking for some horns...not really for the car I currently own, but for the car I plan on buying when the mustang is total trailer queen.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts