DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I plan on doing a 2-way active set up in my 2004 GMC Yukon and would like to use the stock door locations and have the speakers glassed in (very similar to AZGrower on this forum). I have a Premier P860MP Head Unit and will most likely be using an ARC Audio 4150-XXK to power these. Which tweeter will "jive" with the Excel the best and do you think that the Excel Midbass is my best option. Thank you.

I also plan on only using the head unit as far as tuning goes. Do you think it would be benefecial to maybe use one of ARC's EQs?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Have a budget you are working with? Also what type of sound do you prefer from your highs? (I can't really rec. anything myself as I am too inexperienced to rec. drivers due to my lack of testing, but I know these two ?'s need to be addressed first ;) :p )

·
Registered
242 Posts
if you're set with the excels pick a tweeter that plays down to 2-2.5k-ish. If you're not a bass head the midbass of the excels off of the 40rms would suit you fine. I just sold the excels w18ex001's and seeking something a bit more efficient.

·
Registered
55 Posts
daitrong said:
if you're set with the excels pick a tweeter that plays down to 2-2.5k-ish. If you're not a bass head the midbass of the excels off of the 40rms would suit you fine. I just sold the excels w18ex001's and seeking something a bit more efficient.

i got plenty of power to feed them I cant wait till they get here,,, hehe

·
Registered
55 Posts
by the way if you have a very open budget i just got some LCY 130's ill let you know how they mate witht he excels hopefully a little later next week when it all arrives,,

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I listen to a lot classic rock, 80's, and so on...Really no budget, or lets say like under $200 per tweet, nothing crazy. I want something that is very smooth, but not too dull. I just got into this little hobby, so it is hard for me to describe what i am looking for. Something that is very clean and i would say medium brightness. Do the excels like more power than that? Would it be better to go with like the g18's or the ca18's? I only really want to use a single 4 channel amp for the front stage and i think that the ARC 4150-XXK is an excellent amp for that. Let me know what you think...Thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
are zed audio amps considered any good?? what could they be compared to as far as quality. they seem very reasonably priced...

·
Registered
242 Posts
masse1369 said:
are zed audio amps considered any good?? what could they be compared to as far as quality. they seem very reasonably priced...
I've never heard much of a difference between say any amplifier A vs. Amplifier B. Which is strange because i consider myself to have super human hearing abilities. ;)

Just get the most powerful, inexpensive but realiable amplifier you can find. Zed audio falls into that category and then some.

·
Registered
242 Posts
masse1369 said:
I listen to a lot classic rock, 80's, and so on...Really no budget, or lets say like under $200 per tweet, nothing crazy. I want something that is very smooth, but not too dull. I just got into this little hobby, so it is hard for me to describe what i am looking for. Something that is very clean and i would say medium brightness. Do the excels like more power than that? Would it be better to go with like the g18's or the ca18's? I only really want to use a single 4 channel amp for the front stage and i think that the ARC 4150-XXK is an excellent amp for that. Let me know what you think...Thanks.
the ca18, g18 , and w18 are all about the same efficiency wise. I think they'll be fine off the arc. The lcy's are 93db efficient vs. the w18 88db. I just didn't like padding down the lcy's that much to mate with the w18's since i had so little amplifier power to work with. I think you'll be fine with the arc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just tried the LCY 110's last night with my W18 Excels and they sounded great. The ribbons even ran okay off HU power (about 15 wrms). Now the Excels need power. I ran 75 watts at them (rated at 4 ohms) and that is not near enough. I plan to get a 200 watt/channel amp later (4 ohm rated). Then I'll run 75 watts (4 ohm rated) at the LCY's.

Demonbane23 said:
by the way if you have a very open budget i just got some LCY 130's ill let you know how they mate witht he excels hopefully a little later next week when it all arrives,,

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
daitrong said:
the ca18, g18 , and w18 are all about the same efficiency wise. I think they'll be fine off the arc. The lcy's are 93db efficient vs. the w18 88db. I just didn't like padding down the lcy's that much to mate with the w18's since i had so little amplifier power to work with. I think you'll be fine with the arc.
Aaah... but how do you know what their in car sensitivity is :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
npdang said:
Aaah... but how do you know what their in car sensitivity is :)
That's because you won't get off your butt and come on down to my place to measure them. But until then they're 88db sens. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts