DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm building a high end 2-way in my subaru liberty with seas w18nx mids in the doors (about 65degs off axis on one side) and probably tweets in the kicks.

I'm looking for a VERY low distortion tweeter (probably large format) that can handle low crossover points (like 2 or 1.6khz) as my mids will be beaming around 1.8khz..

Cost is no object so I was looking at the scanspeak D2904/71000. I'm after that very full sound (similar to horns) with good dynamics. I think npdang has these tweeters and he described them like this.

I have no clue how to read the distortion plots on zaphaudio.com so would appreciate some help there.

Distortion plot for SS 7100:

Cheers! :laugh:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm looking for a VERY low distortion tweeter (probably large format) that can handle low crossover points (like 2 or 1.6khz) as my mids will be beaming around 1.8khz.

Cost is no object so I was looking at the scanspeak D2904/71000. I'm after that very full sound (similar to horns) with good dynamics.
So why you dont want to try Horns :D?

Regards

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want them to be flush with the kick panels and non obtrusive.. :)

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
horns are not obtrusive. you mount them to the underside of the dash and you can hardely tell they are even there.

as for you original question, horns will play the lowest. ID full bodies with ultras in them will play down to about 7-800 hz.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Crossing the 2904/71000 at anything less than 2.5kHz will seriously limit your således, I would not recommend that. The 3/4" Accuton første not fit the bill either.

I would try the old and proven 2905/9700, it handles low crossover points very well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I keep wanting to try the Morel MDT 29s, but I have no idea where I would put them.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Is an ~3" mid and tweeter out of the question?

A Scanspeak Discovery 10F/4424G is pretty small and has a faceplate that can be truncated to bring a small format tweeter closer to it for better cohesiveness and mounting flexibility.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts