DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on building some kicks for my peerless xls 8's... only problem is i've never done it and don't know where to begin.. Sooooooo any advice is much appreciated

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
fiberglass forums... find them, read them, learn... This is a fabrication "area" but that's a fabrication FORUM... go now

·
4,981 Posts
there are multiple ways to biuld kicks, depends on the car, the gear, the level of experience you have, and how many tools you have...

but if you have never played with glass in person before, i strongly suggest you practice on sometihng else before going into your car, this is something i tell everyone...

i did a set of kicks back in the late 90s and it turned out lookin like ****...then i went and started glassing a bunch of tupperware bowls to make mold out of it, to get an idea how to smooth it out and etc...and then moved onto the car.

and i still learn new tips from people and on my own these days...

a lot of people dont put enough attention on the prep work for glassing, meaning dont tape off the section perfectly and dont build the jig, trim the base mold or pull mold cloth perfectly before glassing, thats how you end up with bizarre looking end results. :)

i would say on any given pod build, only about 15-20 percent of the labor time is spent actually glassing...the rest is all in prep work, trimming, pulling cloth, adjusting etc etc.

there are plenty of tutorials on the web on how to do it...but usually, the most basic and simple way for beginners is to lay a base mold, attach a baffle, pull cloth across it, reinforce, sand and cover with carpet.

b

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Since everyone else is not helping ill throw a couple your way.

wtf are you talking about? the link i provided will answer any question anyone would ever have about cars and fiberglass, including pictures of more examples than you know what to do with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
wtf are you talking about? the link i provided will answer any question anyone would ever have about cars and fiberglass, including pictures of more examples than you know what to do with.
Ok you did provide a link but a very general one.
Mike G.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
you can't get any more specific that a forum that only talks about fiberglass....

·
Registered
317 Posts
granted some of those links showed you how to do things. but man they at the same time show you how much they look like crap when not finished nicely. some of the glass work ins nice then a poop carpet job.

NEUMAN

1 - 15 of 15 Posts