DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reinforcement bars in my front doors aren’t well sealed to the outer door skin from factory, and when you knock on the outer door skin, you can hear vibration between the bars and outer skin.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Bicycle tire Wheel

What would be the best way to seal and dampen these bars? I know butyl rope would be ideal for this however it isn’t readily available where I am. Would silicon or PU/Sikaflex also work?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Cheers

·
Registered
675 Posts
I believe that Duct Seal would work for this also. It's available at any Home Depot or Lowe's.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hood Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive design

What if I drilled holes into the bar and then squirted seam sealer inside the bar? Tape up the bottom of the bar so it doesn’t run down.

The gap between the bar and the skin from top or below is really small, >0.5mm

·
Registered
826 Posts
Butyl rope isn’t available where I am, so I’ll go with a PU seam sealer and see how that goes. Cheers
Seam sealer is used to seal the body joints and some braces to the body panels in most vehicles. If you can seal it off and pressurize it a little you may be able to fill the void where the door panel and bar are giving you the issue.

Let us now how the progress goes. You could even ask a local bodyshop if it would be a good idea as they likely use it.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Pu dealer makes the whole lot solid, when I did the stainless in my roof I also went round all the roof supports and bonded them to the outer skin, my roof is solid as a rock!

without a doubt I’d do pu sealant and bond the outer skin to the safety beam…

·
Registered
3,919 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pu dealer makes the whole lot solid, when I did the stainless in my roof I also went round all the roof supports and bonded them to the outer skin, my roof is solid as a rock!

I used Sikaflex 227, hopefully it works a treat

·
Registered
195 Posts
Lay another sheet of butyl as wide as you can or butyl ropes (i didn't used butyl ropes i admit) but sheet i think will be better, why? because the resonation is done by the air between the outer panel and reinforcement bar and add a little extra rigidity. You also benefit to add sealant/silicone to the ends so no air can move because of bass. That's why they still vibrate, because of the shape it would be hard to vibrate.

The reinforcement bars in my front doors aren’t well sealed to the outer door skin from factory, and when you knock on the outer door skin, you can hear vibration between the bars and outer skin.

View attachment 348874

What would be the best way to seal and dampen these bars? I know butyl rope would be ideal for this however it isn’t readily available where I am. Would silicon or PU/Sikaflex also work?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Cheers

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lay another sheet of butyl as wide as you can or butyl ropes (i didn't used butyl ropes i admit) but sheet i think will be better, why? because the resonation is done by the air between the outer panel and reinforcement bar and add a little extra rigidity. You also benefit to add sealant/silicone to the ends so no air can move because of bass. That's why they still vibrate, because of the shape it would be hard to vibrate.

Results are in, Sikaflex 227 worked extremely well. Doors are stupid dead and strong now. I can’t imagine butyl rope working as well as an automotive polyurethane sealant which is designed for this exact purpose

1 - 20 of 20 Posts