DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From reading various posts on here and on some BMW specific forums, I've gathered that the OEM speaker wire is fine to reuse for an aftermarket system. I've already tapped into the wiring, but wanted to ask a few questions to make sure I'm on the right track. FWIW, all OEM wiring is twisted pair.

Currently, I'm using an integration harness to connect my Kenwood H/U in to the OEM wiring. I've cut the ends off of a pair of RCAs and have connected those to the leads on the integration harness to get my line level signal to the trunk (where the factory amp was). I've then started to attach molex connectors (crimped and soldered) to get the signal to my amp and get the amp's signal to the OEM speaker wires. This has been a bit of work and makes it hard if I need to change wiring locations, length, etc. I've seen others use terminal strips and that seems like the easier option when changed need to be made. I'm assuming if you have the screw tight enough, then the connection should be fine, correct? Another option would be to solder a generic integration harness to the OEM cabling like JayinMI did with his Genesis.

I'm looking for feedback and experience in order to make an educated decision. Please let me know if I need to clarify or provide further details. Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
those are cool looking. I'm guessing they work better than the typical crimp on T tap (which dont' work well at all).

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
those are cool looking. I'm guessing they work better than the typical crimp on T tap (which dont' work well at all).
they work amazingly well. are reusable and dont leave the wire you tapped into screwed up if you remove the tap.

they are basically a wirenut at one end and then piercing tap at the other. if wirenuts are good enough to wire a house with, then they are good enough for me :D

they are alot more expensive than the bosch or 3M crimpy kind though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts