DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sub amp is a Kicker ZX 650.4 and my subs are Boston G110-44 subs. They are dual voice coil and can be wired either as 2 ohms or 4ohms. They are rated for 50-200 watts. The amps puts out 325 watts bridge at 4 ohms. It is not 2 ohm stable.

I am trying to decide if I should wire them together on one channel of the amp and leave the other channel unused or if I should set them up as 8 ohm and run each sub on one channel of the amp.

Thoughts or suggestions.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
try both and whatever sounds the best is the way to go.
brigded at 8 it the way i would go though.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Might as well try it both ways. Try it both subs ran at 4 ohm to one channel, then both subs wired to 8 ohm each on each channel. Then see what it sounds like. Probably not much difference in wattage, ive seen listed t/s parameters change when the sub is wired differently (series and parallel.)

According to the specs on some sub woofer i was looking at the other day, the BL was cut in half when the sub was wired in series. (DVC)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might as well try it both ways. Try it both subs ran at 4 ohm to one channel, then both subs wired to 8 ohm each on each channel. Then see what it sounds like. Probably not much difference in wattage, ive seen listed t/s parameters change when the sub is wired differently (series and parallel.)

According to the specs on some sub woofer i was looking at the other day, the BL was cut in half when the sub was wired in series. (DVC)
What's BL?

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
I would wire each subwoofer in series and then parallel them together before
I connected them to the amp.

Bl
Measured in tesla-metres (T·m). Technically this is B×l or B×l sin(θ) (a vector cross product), but the standard geometry of a circular coil in an annular voice coil gap gives sin(θ)=1. B×l is also known as the 'force factor' because the force on the coil imposed by the magnet is B×l multiplied by the current through the coil. The higher the B×l value, the larger the force generated by a given current flowing through the voice coil. B×l has a very strong effect on Qes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK. So, the Bl changes by a factor of 2 whether the speaker is wired in parallel or series.

I am making the assumption that on the chart I am looking at, when it says series or parallel it is talking about the 2 voice coils being wired series or parallel.

Here is a link to the specs. The subs are G11044.

So, when wired in series, Bl is 16.53 and when in parallel, Bl is 8.27.

Can someone tell me what this means or how it impacts performance of the speaker?

·
Registered
589 Posts
You probably want more BL, right? Ha so do what he said (wire the voice coils of the sub in series, for both of the subs, and then wire both the subs in parallel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts