DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am looking for any suggestion for a 10-12inch driver either woofer or sub that has the best of the worlds without breaking the bank too much :) - the speed, the low (down to atleast 20Hz), and the energy. It can have ported or sealed enclosure. Right now i am playing 2way system - tw ribbon and midbass 6in C-quence skaaning (fs 29Hz). I have tried ss 23w, crescendo (local brand), lotus sw300. 23w had the low but lack the speed and energy. sw300 delivered the energy and the low but was slow (drived by arc 2500xxk mono). right now im using aurum cantus 10in sub goin ported in 1.3cuft box and it lacks the low. just throw some dart guys en help me out :D home audio driver will do too if it makes the case :p

my system
Nakamichi cd700 / Eclipse Soundmonitor
PXA-H701 upgraded
Abyss MiniAA 4ch & Eton PA1502
Aurum Cantus G2 Ribbon
Skaaning C-quence 6in
Aurum Cantus 10in sub
Duelund Cast cap

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Sounds more to me like you have tuning issues more so than the speaker it's self. There's no such thing as a slow or fast speaker, well other than a subwoofer is slow compared to a tweeter. Those are usually words to describe what amounts to a tuning issue in actuality

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds more to me like you have tuning issues more so than the speaker it's self. There's no such thing as a slow or fast speaker, well other than a subwoofer is slow compared to a tweeter. Those are usually words to describe what amounts to a tuning issue in actuality
I think actually there is in my limited experience :blush: but to be more precise maybe fast means sounds cleaner than. it cant keep up with the speed of the midbass. however please enlighten me :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am looking for any suggestion for a 10-12inch driver either woofer or sub that has the best of the worlds without breaking the bank too much :) - the speed, the low (down to atleast 20Hz), and the energy. It can have ported or sealed enclosure. Right now i am playing 2way system - tw ribbon and midbass 6in C-quence skaaning (fs 29Hz). I have tried ss 23w, crescendo (local brand), lotus sw300. 23w had the low but lack the speed and energy. sw300 delivered the energy and the low but was slow (drived by arc 2500xxk mono). right now im using aurum cantus 10in sub goin ported in 1.3cuft box and it lacks the low. just throw some dart guys en help me out :D home audio driver will do too if it makes the case :p

my system
Nakamichi cd700 / Eclipse Soundmonitor
PXA-H701 upgraded
Abyss MiniAA 4ch & Eton PA1502
Aurum Cantus G2 Ribbon
Skaaning C-quence 6in
Aurum Cantus 10in sub
Duelund Cast cap

i know everyone always knocks Power acoustik, but their new line, the P3 subwoofers, are very tight, have a high excursion, so tehy are good for both SPL and SQ

to thid day i still think the Farenheit CK-12D subs are the best Ive ever heard in my life, and ive owned some of the best, iwish i knew someone who had a pair of them for sale

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I think actually there is in my limited experience :blush: but to be more precise maybe fast means sounds cleaner than. it cant keep up with the speed of the midbass. however please enlighten me :)
I'm not trying to dissect your every word, but in what way does the sub not keep up with the midbass? I mean it's not actually lagging behind, so can you be more specific?

Maybe the sub is too loud, maybe not loud enough, maybe it has some serious frequency deviations.That's what I mean by tuning. Normally blending issues are either frequency imbalances, level matching or crossover point issues.

You really need to spend more time tuning before you replace your drivers. Tuning is free, drivers are expensive.:)

I've never heard that P3 sub, but I doubt it's better than what you have used or are currently using.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Give a look at the Dayton line from Parts express. The Titanics or the HO series are fantastic performers.As far as "fast" that is primarily dependant on your midbass drivers, crossover points and what I will call box configuration. if it is sealed or ported, tuning frequency of port if ported and general amp and eq settings. Another thing you need to mention is your budget. Best sub for X number of dollars. And literally what do you want to spend max. Work down from there. I have seen so many others ask this same question and give say 500 bucks max. Then through the course of advice you find that the guy really only can spend 150 bucks max. Which is fine but kind of a waste of time when giving the real dollar amount is just faster.

·
Registered
67 Posts
jl 8w7 for 8 for range, type x 10 for pure sq, idmax 12 for all around greatness, and the mother of all subs LMS Ultra 15 for best sub made suggestion. if you want a beast down low get the last two suggestions. And look at Audiopulse LMS Ultra insane!!!! i own an Audiopulse axis and look that thing to death

·
Registered
216 Posts
Image Dynamics IDQ's are pretty damn good and dont cost an arm and a leg!

If you have a problem with the sub not keeping up with the mid u might have a time alignment problem.. which way do your subs fire? what type of enclosure are they in now? The mistake some people make with time alignment is that they dont push the front stage back to an equal distance as the subs.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I Love my 10w6v2. It can definitely boogie when you crave bass, and completely transform into a wonderful sq sub when you want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
jl 8w7 for 8 for range, type x 10 for pure sq, idmax 12 for all around greatness, and the mother of all subs LMS Ultra 15 for best sub made suggestion. if you want a beast down low get the last two suggestions. And look at Audiopulse LMS Ultra insane!!!! i own an Audiopulse axis and look that thing to death
hahaha, did you pick up an audiophile magazine and read that in an article?

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
I will list my favorites.

IDQ
ID Max
JLw6
JLw7
Polk Audio SR
Sundown Audio SD1v2

Out of all of them I currently run the IDQ, truly tranparant, sound superb and will get surprisingly loud. I finally was in the mood for "fun factory" yesterday and laid the Zapco 9.0 on my pair of 12's and I will say it got to the point of hard to breath. I about sh*t myself with the output.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will list my favorites.

IDQ
ID Max
JLw6
JLw7
Polk Audio SR
Sundown Audio SD1v2

Out of all of them I currently run the IDQ, truly tranparant, sound superb and will get surprisingly loud. I finally was in the mood for "fun factory" yesterday and laid the Zapco 9.0 on my pair of 12's and I will say it got to the point of hard to breath. I about sh*t myself with the output.
The IDQ v.2 or v.3?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Read the pdf articles at Stereo Integrity, particularly the one entitled "woofer speed," it may help you understand more about what 89grand is saying. If not, it is a good read none the less.

hahaha, did you pick up an audiophile magazine and read that in an article?
You may find that attitude will not get you far here. It sounds like BassBrat was giving some good honest advice. I'm not entirely sure where you picked up in his post that he was misleading the OP with something he read in an "audiophile magazine."

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for your input i'll certainly take that into consideration however could the problem be that my mid can go lower than the sub...my mid can go down to 28Hz (-3db fs point) while the sub only goes to around 33is Hz. I sealed my mid into ported enclosure in 12ltr box and have finetuned it with LMS software. To be more specific, when I used word speed meaning the transient attack not exactly fast vs slow per se :) the time delay has been tuned over and over again but with no avail :blush: as far as the cross over point, i need a sub or woofer that can deliver the energy down < 35Hz/18db oct or 24db (LPF) and has the "speed" to keep up with my running mid.

We have a local distributor selling ID here and I have heard the sub but i think its more into SPL than SQ. it kind had boosted midbass frequency somewhere between 50 - 80Hz region just like any other SPL sub, but the sound of the bass was cleaner and tight though compared to some wellknown brand i've heard. I'm sorry my hearing is still learning to this date :p

I also wanna to avoid much of EQing snce the result is not natural anymore.

Has anybody tried Hsu asw1203 sub or GR research SW12B? Looks promising...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts