DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I have a set of alpine spx-f17t crossovers.Looking at the manual that came with them,it shows that you can hook up an alpine amp to the midbass speaker input terminal on the crossover,and hook up an alpine amp to the midrange speaker input terminal on the same crossover to get more power to each speaker.When it shows how it is hooked up,it shows that it is only using one half of the amplifier,say the left channel side for each speaker imput on the crossover,leaving the right channel side unused.Each of my alpine amplifiers are 300 watts rms total.150 watts per channel.Why does the picture in the manual show only the left channel of the alpine amplifier for the midbass speaker input,and then show a separate amp using only the left channel for the midrange speaker input.They are leaving 150 watts on the right channel of each amp unused.Why can't I just run the left side 150 watts to the midbass input on the crossover,giving the midbass 150 watts,and then use the right channel side of the same amplifier for the other 150 watts to the midrange speaker.By doing it this way,I will not need to hook up the extra amp,and will still be delivering 150 watts to each speaker.Why would alpine show it the other way,using two separate amps,leaving a full 150 watts unused on each amplifier.Am I missing something.Please verify if I can do this for sure,as I don't want to do any harm to amps,crossover or speakers.I'm looking forward to all of your expert advice.Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
Blind Guess,

They may be presuming you would use L/R on one amp for both mid basses,
and L/R on a different amp for both midrange.

You could of course use two channels of one amp, but one of the advantages of Biamping is using dissimilar power (for instance between midrange and tweeter), so you could have a 2ch higher power amp powering the LF signal and a smaller 2ch lower power amp to power tweeters.

Again, just guessing.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies so far about bi-amping the alpine spxf17t crossover with one or two amps.I was hoping to get a more definitive answer to the question I asked but knew it might be a problem since I am not able to upload the alpine manual for all to see exactly what I'm talking about.To help you guys and gals answer this question more definitively for me,I did some searching and found the manual on this forum so you can check out exactly what I am seeing and hopefully get an exact answer. I typed in Alpine spx f17t in the search bar and scrolled closer to the bottom of the page and found alpine spxf17t by starboy 869.When you look in there.He has a link that opens the manual for the alpine spxf17t crossovers ,so you can look at exactly the same pictures I have of the bi-amping ,to see if you half to use the two alpine amps or if you can just use one amp,using both the left and right channel on the one amp for one midbass and one midrange.I know it shows you can tri amp the speakers,one for midbass,one for midrange ,and one for tweeter,I was not wanting to tri amp the speakers,because the tweeter is only a low watt tweeter and doesn't need the separate amp to power it easily.I just want to bi amp the midbass and midrange.Thanks to everyone for going out of their way for me.Thanks again.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ok, checked the manual

Its very simple.

They are simply showing you one side of the system, presuming you would hook up the opposing side in the same manner.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,It looks to me that they are showing a separate amp for each input on the same crossover,one for midbass one for midrange,one for tweeter. Can I use the left channel on one amp to go to the midbass on the crossover,and use the right channel on the same amp to connect to the midrange input on the same crossover.One amp ,left channel midbass,right channel midrange.Then do the exact same steps to power the other crossover and speakers.Thanks

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Your looking into this way too deep.

Say you have a 2 channel amp.

Hook up left speaker out to left passive
Hook up right speaker out to right passive

Say you have a 4 channel or two 2 channels amps.

See above, but double it.

You could use a single amp per side bridged mono, but that's sq silly.
Ie. Bridge left amp to left passive, etc

Btw excellent passive crossover. I have the spx 17 pros (2 way)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,I think I get it now.It sounds like I hook my 2 channel alpine amp left speaker out to one of the midbass input terminals on the left crossover.,and hook the right speaker out on the same amp to the midbass input terminal on the right crossover. That should take care of my midbass correctly.To do my midrange,it sounds like I just do the same thing with another separate alpine 2 channel amp.I hook my left speaker out on it to the midrange input terminal on the left crossover again,and hook up the right speaker out on the same amp to the midrange input terminal on the right crossover. Is this all correct?Nothing beats talking to someone that has experience with these crossovers personally.Thank you starboy and everyone that replied to my thread for help on this matter.This is why Diyma is the best SQ forum in the world.It's not only the information on this site,but the top notch people that really know their stuff. Thanks so much.Carey.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hi,I think I get it now.It sounds like I hook my 2 channel alpine amp left speaker out to one of the midbass input terminals on the left crossover.,and hook the right speaker out on the same amp to the midbass input terminal on the right crossover. That should take care of my midbass correctly.To do my midrange,it sounds like I just do the same thing with another separate alpine 2 channel amp.I hook my left speaker out on it to the midrange input terminal on the left crossover again,and hook up the right speaker out on the same amp to the midrange input terminal on the right crossover. Is this all correct?Nothing beats talking to someone that has experience with these crossovers personally.Thank you starboy and everyone that replied to my thread for help on this matter.This is why Diyma is the best SQ forum in the world.It's not only the information on this site,but the top notch people that really know their stuff. Thanks so much.Carey.

Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just to add. The reason it is diagrammed that way is so you can level match drivers across "paired l/r" amp channels. You would set one volume for both midrange and one colume for tweeters. If you ran tweeters and midrange on one amp for each side you would have less flexibility and couldnt level match your tweeters if you so chose

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,Thanks for the extra information on bi-amping and tri-amping the alpine spx-f17t crossovers.Every bit of information that helps me get better sound and more flexibility from the crossovers is good news.Thanks for your help.It was greatly appreciated.Carey.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts