DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting ready to do the Big 3 upgrade and a new battery on my '98 Cavalier. I'm going to use the Knukonceptz 1/0 Kolossus Fleks Cable and rings. I was considering running the battery to chassis ground to the left strut tower, and the engine to chassis ground from the A/C bracket to the right strut tower. But it seems I read somewhere that it is not recommended to have multiple grounding points? Is this true? and if so, should I run both the ground wires to the same strut tower?

If it matters, the alternator seems to be a 105 amp, currently looks to be 8 or 10 gauge wire connected to the alternator. I have a JBL GTO 5355 5 channel amp, running 4 speakers at 4 ohms and 2 8" subs at 2 ohms. It is wired with 4 gauge power and ground wire. According to the amp ratings, I have about 580 watts of power.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Here is what you do: Try to get the IMPORTANT grounds all to one location and attach a upgraded 0 gauge wire to that location. Make sure its sanded and that the 0 gauge ground is the first on and the least important ones on top of it.

Alt: Positive upgraded to its appropriate location and attach 0 gauge ground from it and attach it to the strut location.

Note: with your electrical setup you DON'T need to do this. If you want to you can do KNU 4 gauge as that is a true 3 gauge and would be PLENTY for your setup.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alt: Positive upgraded to its appropriate location and attach 0 gauge ground from it and attach it to the strut location.

Can you explain this a little better? I must not be understanding what you are telling me.

Thanks for the tip on just using the 4 gauge. Just saved a bunch of money on my car wiring.

·
Registered
898 Posts
>_< BAD ENGLISH

Positive wire of the alt goes to the positive post. Take a negative wire and strap it close to the alt (use a bolt or something that holds the alt in place), this is effectively called a engine ground.

·
Registered
898 Posts
^No and no need, don't listen to him.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It didn't make sense to me anyway.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let us know how it goes!
Absolutely I will. How long can the ground wire be for grounding the amp? Should I have run the amp ground wire back up to the battery? The amp is in the trunk?

·
Registered
898 Posts
the ground wire to battery is rubbish for this app. Just ground it to the metal of the frame like the floor or side of tire well were there isn't any additional metal ontop of it/ deadener and make sure to sand the spot well.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Rubbish or not, not said by you, but the car will... Some car do have higher resistance, there's no absolute answer for this until you take the measurement when the amp are on....
Running another run of wire to battery are to ensure a sure "0" resistance... This also can help on troubleshooting later on...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts