Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
Here's what I have:
Alpine 9886CDA Head Unit
Rockford Fosgate P1652-S components.
Rockford Fosgate P3 shallow 12" sub
Rockford Fosgate T600-4 amp. (Rear channels powering sub, front channels powering components)

So a few months ago, I paid supposedly the #2 installer in the nation, Meece Car Audio, to install my amp and sub, wire everything and run the front channel wires to my Jl Audio speakers. A little while later my right side speaker blew. So I was using the stock dash speakers running off the head unit.
Today I installed my RF components, and was very happy until I started playing around with the settings and realized that when I turned the subwoofer setting "off" on the head unit, the right side speaker stops playing. Also, if I turn the Subwoofer setting up or down between 0 and 15 the right side speaker volume increases and decreases.
So much for "great installers"... This is probably why my speaker blew in the first place. I don't want that to happen to my new components.
Is there anything I can do? My installer said he won't touch anything unless I'm paying him. How can I fix it myself?

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Sound like you just need to check the RCAs from the HU to the amps and speaker wiring from the amp to the speakers to make sure they are going to the proper speaker/channel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks! So I just need to follow the rca and speaker cables and make sure they are going to the right places? (I'm sure they aren't)
Also, I have this loud whine coming from the speakers. I tried turning the gains down but I can still hear it. My installer swears it's not the ground, but I don't know what to believe. It gets louder with more rpms from the motor.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Rockford 4 channel amps have long been notorious for how easily they pick up motor noise. Its probably is not the main ground, but a rather a ground potential difference between the main ground and the signal ground from the head unit. Try running at least a 16 gauge wire from your amp ground wire to your radio ground (cease using the ground wire in the factory harness). Also, sometimes using 4 channels RCAs (as opposed to 2 RCA pairs) can yield a noticeable reduction in noise.

Can't guarantee that either thing will eliminate the problem but it's a start. Also, any installer or shop worth a crap offers "lifetime" warranty on their labor for the original purchaser (assuming that you haven't tampered with it, in which case all bets are off). If the install is not very old and they refuse to check out obvious problems then I don't think they deserve the assumed title of "#2 installer in the nation".

·
Registered
238 Posts
they sound like dicks who don't back up their work. recheck all your rca's and speaker wires, or go in and bust some heads at that installer till they fix it. and run a dedicated ground. I had that exact same alternator whine, and I fixed it by running a separate ground for my alpine 9883

1 - 5 of 5 Posts