DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had a non-stock car audio in well over 10 years.
Just ordered a bunch of Helix processing equipment, and parted with some hard-earned cash. On its' way is a DSP Pro Mk II, a Director and an USB - HD expansion card.

Been mulling this over for a long time and said, screw it, go for it. I'm not rich by any means, but work hard in a union job and for ( at times ... ) long hours, so I've been stacking it up.This stuff is going in a 2015 6 cylinder, 6 speed MT coupe.

For input, I am not going to be using a head unit, just a phone and/or tablet with possibly some hard drives

While I'm waiting for this to come in I'm trying to cement my driver choices. I'm not dealing with the subwoofer aspect right now ( just for shihtsngrins I'll probably hook up an old box from an old system as a temporary thing - hopefully the drivers are ok in it - will find out soon enough... :) ).

What I am wrestling with is my front stage choices. Eventually I'd like to go three way up front, but for now it will be two way.
My local shop suggests Hybrid-Audio, however I'm leaning to Scan Speak Illuminator dome tweeters - beryllium and either Illuminator 7"s or Revelator 6.5"s. As another option it was suggested I may want to check out Audio Frog drivers. I've never heard them and don't know much about them, but read an install review by someone in here. Apparently, highly considered drivers.

Does anybody have any other suggestions for this build? I'm itching to get started but have to wait two weeks or so for the processing equipment. Gonna deaden the car in the meantime.

Scott

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I haven't had a non-stock car audio in well over 10 years.
Just ordered a bunch of Helix processing equipment, and parted with some hard-earned cash. On its' way is a DSP Pro Mk II, a Director and an USB - HD expansion card.

Been mulling this over for a long time and said, screw it, go for it. I'm not rich by any means, but work hard in a union job and for ( at times ... ) long hours, so I've been stacking it up.This stuff is going in a 2015 6 cylinder, 6 speed MT coupe.

For input, I am not going to be using a head unit, just a phone and/or tablet with possibly some hard drives

While I'm waiting for this to come in I'm trying to cement my driver choices. I'm not dealing with the subwoofer aspect right now ( just for shihtsngrins I'll probably hook up an old box from an old system as a temporary thing - hopefully the drivers are ok in it - will find out soon enough... :) ).

What I am wrestling with is my front stage choices. Eventually I'd like to go three way up front, but for now it will be two way.
My local shop suggests Hybrid-Audio, however I'm leaning to Scan Speak Illuminator dome tweeters - beryllium and either Illuminator 7"s or Revelator 6.5"s. As another option it was suggested I may want to check out Audio Frog drivers. I've never heard them and don't know much about them, but read an install review by someone in here. Apparently, highly considered drivers.

Does anybody have any other suggestions for this build? I'm itching to get started but have to wait two weeks or so for the processing equipment. Gonna deaden the car in the meantime.

Scott
congrats on the audiotec fischer goodness!

if your local shop is leading you toward hybrid, i'd say follow their lead. i've been using hybrid drivers since 2008 and have heard just about everything else...never heard anything that's made me want to switch.

or course the ultimate result will come down to a skilled install and tune, but hybrid drivers are certainly up to the task and achieve excellent results in the most highly esteemed competitions.

best of luck in whichever route you ultimately take.

·
Super Moderator
2,336 Posts
I've only heard the Hybrid's once. They were nice, but they were on a sound board, so it would be unfair for me to give an assessment.

If you want a REALLY nice set of speakers (guaranteed nice), then go Audiofrog.

If you're looking to save money, then I'd go with the Scans.

ScanSpeak Revelator 18W/4531-G00 7" Mid-Woofer 4 ohm
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...speak-revelator-18w/4531g-7-mid-woofer-4-ohm/

ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6040-00 Beryllium Dome Tweeter
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...or-d3004/6040-00-beryllium-dome-tweeter-each/

The Beryllium tweeter is nice... but to be honest, I think the soft dome sounds just as good, for less than half the price.

ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6020-00 Tweeter Textile Dome
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...luminator-d3004/6020-00-tweeter-textile-dome/

If you have the room to mount a large format tweeter, then go for the large Illuminator tweeter:

ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6620-00 Tweeter
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c.../scanspeak-illuminator-d3004/6620-00-tweeter/

·
Registered
19,897 Posts
I'm leaning to Scan Speak Illuminator dome tweeters - beryllium and either Illuminator 7"s or Revelator 6.5"s. As another option it was suggested I may want to check out Audio Frog drivers.
Scott
both excellent choices. i have the audiofrogs now and have used many of the scanspeak drivers in the past. cant go wrong with either

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've only heard the Hybrid's once. They were nice, but they were on a sound board, so it would be unfair for me to give an assessment.

If you want a REALLY nice set of speakers (guaranteed nice), then go Audiofrog.

If you're looking to save money, then I'd go with the Scans.

ScanSpeak Revelator 18W/4531-G00 7" Mid-Woofer 4 ohm
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...speak-revelator-18w/4531g-7-mid-woofer-4-ohm/

ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6040-00 Beryllium Dome Tweeter
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...or-d3004/6040-00-beryllium-dome-tweeter-each/

The Beryllium tweeter is nice... but to be honest, I think the soft dome sounds just as good, for less than half the price.

ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6020-00 Tweeter Textile Dome
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...luminator-d3004/6020-00-tweeter-textile-dome/

If you have the room to mount a large format tweeter, then go for the large Illuminator tweeter:

ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6620-00 Tweeter
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c.../scanspeak-illuminator-d3004/6620-00-tweeter/
about a month ago I had to make the choice between HAT and Audiofrog. I ended up going with HAT. My installer runs all HAT and his system is one of the best I've ever heard and I am not too keen on the looks of the frogs. Either way can't go wrong.

Reactions: MrGreen83

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
about a month ago I had to make the choice between HAT and Audiofrog. I ended up going with HAT. My installer runs all HAT and his system is one of the best I've ever heard and I am not too keen on the looks of the frogs. Either way can't go wrong.

The frogs are definitely about sound and not looks. That said, the HAT's are nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A little more progress. Very little. At any rate decided to go with the
ScanSpeak Revelator 18W/4531-G00 7" Mid-Woofer
ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6020-10 1" tweeter - textile dome ( deep chamber )

I decided to deal with the low end, too.
Although I am looking for SQ, and not particularly into SPL, I definitely like to hear, and feel, all that is there.
I wanted to make sure I had the very lowest notes covered. Cleanly. Planning on putting this into a sealed box of roughly 1.6 cubic feet.

Looking to use this amp, a Zapco ST-1350XM II
Class D
650 watts at 4 ohms
https://www.zapco.com/st-1350xm-ii

with this subwoofer driver, a JL Audio 13W3v3-4.
It is a 13.5" 4 ohm, SVC unit.
Recommended Amplifier Power (RMS) 150 - 600 W
13W3v3-4 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Drivers - W3v3 - JL Audio

Is this a wise choice of an amp for this sub, or is there any other similarly priced options, that might be better? The last time I had a system in a car was so long ago, Class D amps were barely out and not that commonly used. Will this amp do me justice or should I be looking at a different amp topology?

·
Registered
795 Posts
You should be fine with that amp and sub, but you could save some money and ikprove performance by sticking with Scanspeak.

Reactions: serlvz

·
Registered
359 Posts
I used the 30W/4558T for some months and it's an excellent sub that can sound very good in a smaller sealed box and I also tried it in a larger enclosure with the matching passive radiator.

Then I heard the 32W/4878T Revelator 13" in a well tuned system and for me it was, well, relevatory. I ordered one the next day and after a LOT of tuning the whole system I feel I've arrived bass wise/system wise. Still possible to improve things but now the roses smell pretty good.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c.../scan-speak-32w/4878t-revelator-13-subwoofer/

More than twice the price and enclosure volume of the 4558T and more money than the13W3v3-4 (which I have not heard) but for me in my system it gelled/locked things in a way that completed my car audio quest for the time being.

D.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sent you a PM.

BTW, I forgot to mention that I vote for the HAT (I've never heard the 'frogs) but the L4 in my system is very sweet.

Also, one thing I do plan on changing is the Rockford P1000X1bd as sometimes I feel that the 4878T is wanting more power.

D.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got home from a week away, getting major dental done.
More teeth, less money... :)

How much does the Rockford put out? How much does that monster want?
Also, your sig speaks of the 8 ohm version, but in the text of your message you mention 4878...

My friggin' installer/sometimes~reseller had a heart attack and was in intensive care for several days. He is only 37!! Anyway, he is out. Don't know much ( I inly talked to his wife in FB messaging ), but apparently he is out now and healing. Friggin' scary at that age, heh.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to talk to him soon. see how he's doing.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
You have a Accord 6-6? If so, I do too. Using the mini dsp balanced as it accepts the three pre amp signal wires easy peasy. Contact Brolly1000 for his pre amp harness if you dont want to do any splicing. Mostly use a ipeo as a HD in. These cars can sound really good with not too much effort.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
The sub is the least important driver in a setup, the right box is often more important than the sub itself, your sub will do for now. Go with Scan Illuminator midbass and the 3004 dome tweet, for a killer 2 way+sub. Once you get this in its all down to your tune.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You have a Accord 6-6? If so, I do too. Using the mini dsp balanced as it accepts the three pre amp signal wires easy peasy. Contact Brolly1000 for his pre amp harness if you dont want to do any splicing. Mostly use a ipeo as a HD in. These cars can sound really good with not too much effort.
~ I don't know what all is going to be involved in integrating this equipment into this car, as far as integration with the stock ****. I'd rather not lose any Honda functions... Steering wheel controls, bluetooth for phone interrupt, etc.
Little concerned how that will pan out.

Going to stick with the JL Audio 13W3v3-4 13.5" sub, and I think I'll be pretty happy with it. It ended up costing me $20 more than the Scan Speak. My reseller said "Are you absolutely sure?" when I initially asked him about getting the 13.5, so I don't want to leave him with something he has to move, after telling him yes, but then I change my mind. That isn't cool.

As said earlier, am leaning towards the Zapco. Do I lose anything by not using a more classic A/B amp design? Should I be looking at picking up a used high quality, fairly high powered 2 channel amp? Or in that frequency range is it going to matter? Does an A/B amp control a driver tighter? Would that be amore desirable choice?

Frigging reading so much on this my eyes and brain blur out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

The stock head unit has clean pre amp signal wires? Or do these come off a harness?

I obviously need to do more research.

·
Registered
359 Posts
"Also, your sig speaks of the 8 ohm version, but in the text of your message you mention 4878"

Yes, because in a moment of dumb-assery I bought the 8 ohm version and installed it before I noticed my mistake, too late to exchange it so I decided to live with it. Not a big deal really except sometimes it sucks the life out of my Rockford. Going to remedy that soon.

D.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts