DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I generally use butyl based deadening sheets, however have seen some thicker bitumen based deadening sheets such as STP bomb and Sundown available. Any benefits to Bitumen over Butyl? Or is Butyl superior in every way?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Bitumen is a binder. I'd guess it's just asphalt.

The STP Bomb Aero looks to be butyl-based, but I've heard they use a lot of filler.

I can't find any info on the Sundown product. The online stores that sell them list nothing about its composition, and the Sundown website shows that their account was suspended by the hosting company.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The STP Bomb Aero looks to be butyl-based, but I've heard they use a lot of filler.

I can't find any info on the Sundown product. The online stores that sell them list nothing about its composition, and the Sundown website shows that their account was suspended by the hosting company.
Here they are mate:

“STP BOMB AERO is a three-layer construct consisting of: embossed aluminium foil (the facing layer), a bitumen layer, and an adhesive polymer layer covered with anti-adhesive paper.”

·
Registered
350 Posts
Here they are mate:

“STP BOMB AERO is a three-layer construct consisting of: embossed aluminium foil (the facing layer), a bitumen layer, and an adhesive polymer layer covered with anti-adhesive paper.”

Weird, because the STP website also says butyl. I don't know how much confidence I'd have in a company who doesn't know what their product is made of. But as I said, bitumen is primarily used as a binder in asphalt. It's a type of tar. Not something you want in your car, especially on a hot day.

As for the Sundown, neither the link nor the video actually tell you what it's made of. Deadener you have to warn up screams asphalt to me. Between that and the "it must be good if it sticks to my forehead" bit, I would steer well clear.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
The bitumen product is like ampere audios vibraflex. Bitumen is basically plastic. You need to apply alot of heat to help it and get it to confirm to whatever panel you're applying it.
Once it cools, it adds more stiffness and rigidity to the panel.

Different than butyle based deadner which is primarily to add mass and lower the resonance frequency of the panel .

·
Vendor
21,112 Posts
Where is skizzy? I can not believe there is not a link yet.....
I got you

Different than butyle based deadner which is primarily to add mass and lower the resonance frequency of the panel .
This isn't how a constrained layer damper works. Adding mass is just a by-product.

Let’s start with the most basic, familiar, and in my opinion, essential forms of sound treatment for a car audio system, a Constrained Layer Damper (aka, CLD). A CLD is a product that features a viscoelastic layer of butyl rubber and a thin sheet of aluminum as a constraining layer. A CLD’s job is to lower structure-borne vibration of panels by converting mechanical energy (the vibration) into heat via the viscoelastic properties of butyl while the constraining layer helps the butyl layer and the panel keep their shape and resist deformation. The primary way that CLD achieves this is through shear forces in the butyl layer caused by being constrained between the panel and the constraining layer while the panel is vibrating (flexing). When the panel flexes, so does the CLD. When the viscoelastic layer stretches and deforms, it naturally resists and wants to “snap” back into place.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I used the Sundown bitumen deadener as a layer in my service hole cover plates. So it goes 6mm CCF > lead sheet > 160mil bitumen > 6mm CCF. These cover plates as solid as f*ck. Ain’t no backwave coming through that’s for sure

Hand Hood Automotive tire Sleeve Grey

Automotive tire Textile Sleeve Grey Denim

·
Registered
4,218 Posts

Bitumen is a flammable component of tar and asphalt.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I used the Sundown bitumen deadener as a layer in my service hole cover plates. So it goes 6mm CCF > lead sheet > 160mil bitumen > 6mm CCF. These cover plates as solid as f*ck. Ain’t no backwave coming through that’s for sure

View attachment 348218
View attachment 348244
I didnt expect it to literally look like a road.
Kinda crazy they would atleast put a more finished layer for the logo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts