DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so everyone knows that ebay prices are very low compared to even online stores.

i was wondering if theres a black market for them too like dental tools
i dont mean knockoffs from say kenwood but actual kenwood

they ship them off shore and then bring the products back and sell them for dirt cheap.

the products ( dental tools for example) that didnt pass inspection or were defective are sold online for much cheaper than ones from authorized retailers.in their case the black market retailers get shut down rather quick for known reasons(a bit snapping in your mouth is a bad thing)
but for car stereo is not that serious besides few unhappy customers whose stereo just died unexpectedly after 90 day warranty expired.
so now im curious how much of that ebay stuff is also black market goods that didnt pass the manufacturers QA.

would the manufacturer be able to tell by the serial number if it was ok or damaged goods, and would manufacturer even care to check?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't know about "black market" but there some of what are sold are what are called "gray market" goods. These are OEM goods that are brought into the US bypassing the authorized distributor. They may or may not be accepted for US warranty service. They also may have different voltage or frequency than the official imports. If you are unlucky, you will end up with an outright fake with no recourse.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol ye i ve seen those fake pioneed units.but i guess its grey market for car stereo.
and black for dental tools.

well im gonna buy a kenwood on ebay but i just wanted to see if i can call kenwood and check the serial number with them just to see whats up.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
That's assuming your Kenwood has a serial number. Lots of grey market vendors tend to pull the serial number to hide the source of their goods. In this modern age of computers, databases, and bar code scanners, it is nothing for a manufacturer to keep track of where certain products were sent. Furthermore, some manufacturers will tell you to pound sand if an item was purchased unauthorized whereas others will flat out refuse to service a product that you send in with no serial number.

Look at it this way, you are taking a gamble to save money. In some cases you can purchase a "new" item on eBay 2 or 3 times before you would pay for what an authorized dealer wants for ONE item. In other cases, you could be paying near market price for a counterfeit Hertz or Dynaudio component set. That's just the chance you take purchasing online and unauthorized.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The "gray market" is massive. I happen to know a lot about various aspects, but I believe that one of the reasons why such things show up on ebay is like this

Person buys stereo from Walmart/Best Buy/etc. Person returns it in an open box, and the company doesn't even try to put it back on their floor. They fill skids with such merchandise at random and sell it to another company for a price far below retail, often below wholesale. The company that gets such products then re-sells them on ebay and such.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
There are no authorized ebay sellers for any car audio brands. Be prepared to be refused service if you ever need warranty work or the possibility of receiving a fake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm sure their are a lot of eBay business that have wholesale accounts like (http://www.ecusad.com/)

I contacted PPI about a seller that has an online store and sells through ebay as-well. Both are authorized and warranted.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this company doesn’t have a wholesale account and just drop ships the item directly to us. No inventory and doesn’t have to handle anything. Even if they make $5 off a sale they make a killing from selling in bulk.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There are no authorized ebay sellers for any car audio brands. Be prepared to be refused service if you ever need warranty work or the possibility of receiving a fake.
Um, there are a few authorized dealers for Car Audio on eBay. ie. Electronic Express, even though they do not carry much. Most of the big box stores on eBay are authorized dealers.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol thats what i call a true one stop shop.

your speakers blew out cool we gotz those.

oh did you say your kidnays gave out as well , your lucky day we got those too, gonna go ahead and swap them both out for ya in under an hour and you be on your way to the bar with your new kidnays and speakers.

·
Registered
564 Posts
fakes are actually kinda tricky to pull off for most things. With speakers it's easy enough, just go with a design that's the same size, similar cone material, and colored the same, you can fool 99% of the market. Something like a headunit though is gonna be more of a PITA though. You gotta screw around with programming a fake headunit to have all the features of the real one, you gotta make it work on initial inspection, gotta do way too much screwing around, then of course they're made in tiny quantities so the price isn't as cheap as the wholesale on such things.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I was going to buy a set of Hertz components off ebay and I looked at the guys other items for sale and he had a human kidney for sale. WTF is this legit or not.
Oh ****, that's hilarious. That one guy always said he'd give a kidney to afford some Milles... :eek:

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Seems to me black market is illegal, the product is not legal (such as a patent violation or copy) or not inspected/taxed/distributed/etc to be sold there. Gray market is a real product that is ok to sell but not normally sold in that place, such as a (converted to meet legal requirements if needed) Euro car or Japanese market audio equipment that is sold in the US.

Some time when you are bored get on one of those import sites like alibaba for China manufacturers. They might make US brands but are making their own too, there is so much stuff for sale on there you would crap. Its unknown stuff of course. I found a gas powered two wheel skateboard thing on there one day, I kept looking and eventually found an entire miniature hummer with a 4 cylinder engine...it was like a monster golf cart or something. If someone buys a load of amps or subs and puts them on ebay...I see them sometimes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts