DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This project started April 20 2013 with the purchase of a 2006 HHR LT2 . The project has been underway at home on my time off from work . I needed access to a few items at work to fab up the amp rack and sub cabinet .
This HHR is my wife`s daily driver and her personal car .
(1) Head Unit PRS-80 Pioneer
(1) Phoenix Xenon 100.2
(1) Phoenix Xenon 200.4
(2) HAT L1V2 Tweeters
(2) Hat L6 Mid Bass/Mid Range
(1) IDMAX 12V3 D2 Sub Current sub
(1) HAT Clairus 12 D2 Installing soon
(1) Stinger SPP 925 Battery
(2) Stinger Expert 36 square feet of dampening materials
All interconnects , distro and wiring come from stinger . Harness , steering wheel remote interface and RAP interface are PAC .
Below is the first image , auto cad 3 drawing of sub cabinet .

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The amp rack is constructed from 6061 aluminum . The materials where cut with a dewalt 718 "12 " inch slide saw with a bi metal blade . The finish is brushed aluminum to match the finish of the amps .
Below is the mock up on a steel deck before welding . The series will include welds sanded smooth ..

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The amps and rack was test fit into the HHR right behind the rear fold down seats . The amp rack is secured to the car`s body via the factory cargo d-ring locations . I removed the rings and tapped the locations for 3/8 - 16 x 3 1/2 stainless steel hex head bolts . The amps are secured to the amp rack with 8-32 x 1.5 cap head bolts and matching nyloc nuts . The plastic panels had been removed and replaced with 3/4" birch plywood . The spare tire was also retained in the project . We will get to that in a little while ...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next little project was to fab up the sub cabinet and trim/ trunk deck . It had to be removable to be able to access the spare tire . But also fit into the factory location . This dictated a reverse mount on the sub in a small sealed cabinet . 1.13 cuft is the final volume. The fasteners for securing the sub is a threaded 1/4-20 x 2" stainless steel rail bolt with acorn 1/4-20 nuts stainless steel ..

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cargo mat has been cut and reinstalled over the trunk deck/sub cabinet ...
Starting to look like something now ....
Next steep for me was to dismantle the interior , sound dampen and route interconnects and speaker wire to the front ...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keep in mind 6-8 weeks have passed and the next phase is about to get under way . Time dismantle the interior and install these goodies ..
A little help is always good to have ...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We ran the aftermarket wire with the factory wire locations. Two sets of rca`s and four speakers wires ... Battery is in the trunk in this car .. .
Factory power wire is the bright red 4 gauge running in the center ...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The back of this car sounded like an empty beer . Zero insulation or dampening materials in the hatch area . This is what I found back here ...
Besides that factory sub and amp , thin sheet metal ..

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Added the dampening materials to the rear hatch area . Entire box was used in the back .... 36 sq feet

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At this point I am about 3 months into working on this project on my spare time .
This phase is to get the battery changed out , amps wired and a finished install in the hatch area .

Battery Install ..... I had to fab up a couple of post extenders on a lathe so the terminals would fit the battery . These Stinger terminals are not compatible with this Stinger battery with out a metal fab shop .

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Next was to get the amp rack completed with a piece of .250 flat stock aluminum for the power distribution . I found a piece in the recycle bin that was 8" wide by 24" long . I ripped it down to 7" on a jet table saw ( bi metal blade )and used the entire length for the display . Brushed the piece to match the finish of the amps and amp display rack .
This area is behind the rear fold down seats . When the seats are up , it is not seen ....

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now that the back has been set . The next phase will be to build A-Pillars for the tweeters and begin looking at the door panels .
First the gear ..

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The A-Pillars built follows a listed below . These are not the first build on these two items . Speaker placement and adhesive failure resulted in two rebuilds .
It is said , third time is the charm . My wife picked out the color and said she wanted them painted . So back to the drawing board and rebuilding .

Make rings

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Setting up the rings to be some where between on axis and not more then 90 degrees away from you . And both firing at the same point ....
Really ??? That was what I was told to do , and that is what I did ..

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
L6`s installed on the baffle boards with a serious amount of stinger dampening material between the driver and birch trim rings ....
I do have a door panel design I am designing . The previous design moved the mid in by 4 inches on each side , it narrowed the stage a total of 8 inches . Over sight on my part and I moved the drivers back into the door cavity .
But anyway this is where I am back too ..

1 - 20 of 93 Posts