DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i wanting to do a blow through system in my dak, i was going to build a box to house my sub and my amp (I dont have either a the moment) can anyone give me some tips or something, i have the general idea but any thing else you have is well appreciated. im wanting to do a single sub, i have some draw up of what im trying to do on paper, but i've messed around enough to know that renderings almost never turn out as they do on paper, i'll try to scan and upload the pics soon, but basically i will want to have a sub with the face facing the cab of my truck, i would like to have the sub sit in the box kind like a deep dish, so there will be a few cm's of extension that will be touching the cab from the box. i would like to have the amp sitting under the sub (separated by a sheet of wood of course) and i'll have a small addition hole cut out the cab/bed just for the wiring. is this possible? thankyou

·
Registered
161 Posts
How large of a sub are you planning? Also, do you plan on keeping the truck until it dies? Cut-throughs are great for giant, competition systems. For one sub, I would build/buy something for either under or behind the seat. Cut-throughs are hard and very time consuming not to mention will render your truck basically un-sellable. I've done a Ranger with eight 12" HE2s, an F-150 with four Stroker 15s, and another F-150 with 4 12" Planet Audio (I suggested against this one just like I'm doing now).

If you can avoid doing so and still get the results you want, do so. Permanant, major mods to any vehicle usually result in regret. Take it from someone with experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah this is my grandpa's old truck so i'll have it for ever, and i dont have enough room behind the seat or under the seat for that matter, eventually i will put a bigger system in, but this single sub is just a starting point. and im wanting a 10 or a 12, whichever i can snag from a cousin of mine.

·
Registered
274 Posts
When you cutout the metal make sure you round the corners so the rubber boot will be less of a hassle. Put the seam of the rubber boot at the BOTTOM. I have gotton rubber boots at RV centers. Good luck and post pictures.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Bolt the box to the bed. There is natural flex. If u push the box thru the blow thru u are probably going to have unwanted rattles. Just my experience

·
Registered
274 Posts
So you dont sound like a noob when asking about it at the RV supply its called "accordion boot".

Its a shame to do a single 10 or 12 if you are going this route....these can be put in without booting as a rule.

You can also do a "small blow" and do a port through only with only a 4-5" hole between the bed-box, (bandpass port for instance). Saves cutting and is easy to go back to OEM with a few tack welds and some goo.

If you do opt to do a full blow I recommend finding someone that has a plasma cutter. God invented plasma cutters and will make quick work without sharp edges, minimal kerf and as we all know.....chicks dig guys with plasma cutters.

Good luck....

~JH

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry to get you worked up guys, but i decided to not do a blow through, i found some space around my seatbelt area to fit two 3" speakers, i wanna get subs but do they make 3" subs and i snagged an amp and sub from my uncle ( i love donations lol) so imma just make a center console but thanks lol

·
Registered
403 Posts
you went from a blow through to 3" subs??

I thought I knew a lot about car audio but I have never heard of 3" subs.

I guess you can learn something new everyday. >roll eyes<

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you went from a blow through to 3" subs??

I thought I knew a lot about car audio but I have never heard of 3" subs.

I guess you can learn something new everyday. >roll eyes<
lol i just figured out that i can just move the passenger seat up all the way and fit a 12 behind there, then if i yank 4 3inch subs and stick them abouve the seatbelt housing, my little dakota will be thumping.
Not entirely sure I'd qualify them as subwoofers, but apparently they do exist.

Tang Band W3-1876S 3" Mini Subwoofer 264-909

Tang Band W3-1750S 3" Neodymium Subwoofer 264-877
i wouldnt call those subs either, i sway a set of two 3 inch speakers for 20 bucks that can handle more power and play from 60-3000 hz, so i'll be better off with those speakers lol i have two amps now, so would it be a good idea to power the mini subs and my radio with the 600w amp and power the sub with the 1000w amp?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts