DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I helped my cousin install an audiobahn amp (think its the 8002j?)
And he keeps blowing one of the fuses on it. It has 2x30amp fuses but the same one keeps blowing. What gives?

They are powering 2 Jl audio w6v210s. Not bridged Should be good as far as

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Each sub is at 2ohm and the amp should have plenty of power at 2 ohms. Why would only one fuse be blowing? Bad amp or bad sub?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Switch the subs arounds and see if it follows. Same fuse=amp.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Maybe because the other fuse is already blown, DUH.

And if it suppost to pull 50amps then just having one good 30amp fuse means its going to keep blowing it up.

But if both fuses are good then I dont think each channel has its own power supply so blowing up one fuse means its pulling more than the 60amp fuses it has on board.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup other fuse was blown. Damn amateurs don't even know how to check a fuse. And his genius friend turned everything all the way up. So far so good though....

On another note when I tested the resistance at the speaker terminals on the amp one was 5 and one was negative 5. Any idea why? And test I had it hooked up right.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Goddamn, I run my whole rig on a 40A fuse......
What gear are you running? I'm only running 125RMS per channel for my front stage, and 400RMS for my sub, and they're both fused at 40A a piece.

To the OP, I've spent time trying to find an amp that requires a key to adjust settings. That way people like us that are knowledgeable can set the gains, and have them locked in place. Otherwise people just crank the gains because it gets louder, not realizing they're clipping the hell out of the amp.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
1 JL Audio 500/5

4 ohm tweets,
8 ohm mid/nass
4 ohm sub (6 ohms more or less in the pass-band)

In my truck I run a MTX PRO400X5 (another 5 channel)

a/d/s AL6 mids (4 ohm)
a/d/s AL6 tweets (4 ohm)
JL audio 10W0 (4 ohm)

On a 25 amp fuse.

As for the key, my amp is so close to the wheel-well and the gain adjustments are an indented "screwdriver hole" (basically a split shaft pot recessed.) My tool for adjustment is a cut-off roofing nail ground down to a flat head screwdriver point...... And a mirror.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Those 8002 are a big class AB, the fuses should be parallel as they are on just about every amp. I have a broken one here someplace. Right if the other fuse is not working then one fuse is too small, you should test the fuses one at a time if in question.

So you have 2 ohm on each channel? That should be ok, but those amps do blow up. I have no idea what they do to them to make them blow, the A-bon amps work pretty nice otherwise, are fairly efficient for class AB amps.

I have twice the fuse in my kappa4 as in my current sub amp, an alpine M301 at 350rms and 2 ohms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts